Your New Role and Team
Sanctuary is seeking an Applied Researcher with professional experience in high degree of freedom (DOF) Motion Planning, to help develop systems that support the development of human-like intelligence in general purpose robots.
A successful Applied Researcher will bring several years of experience applying motion planning algorithms to robotic systems and will have the opportunity to work with state of the art software and hardware. This Applied Researcher will also tackle challenges that include abstracting robot platforms for development and production, data and signals processing, the development of simulated environments, and various levels of control systems.
Our Success Criteria
- Gain cutting edge career experience as you design, develop, document, and deploy motion planning systems that support intelligent control systems for state of the art robots
- Expand your research experience as you implement tools that enable advancements in robotics motion planning and artificial intelligence
- Achieve company-wide visibility as you write, debug, maintain, and document code that will be part of our platform for the world's first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots
- Master's/PhD in Computer Science, Controls, or equivalent work experience
- 4+ years direct experience in motion and/or path planning as well as optimization with at least one publication in this area
- Direct experience with motion planning in high DOF (>6) systems
- Direct experience with path planning systems
- Experience working on complex engineering problems as part of a team
- 5+ years Development experience with Python and C++
- Working knowledge of PyTorch and/or TensorFlow
- Experience with Atlassian tools; Jira, GitLab, Confluence
- Experience with Motion Planning Libraries OMPL or MoveIt
- Familiarity with Path Planning Algorithms
- The successful candidate will be a proponent of personal responsibility for themselves and their teammates
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Eager to take on new challenges with tenacity and positivity
- Patience, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving performance issues
- Enthusiasm for bringing human-like intelligence to machines
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.