Are you looking for an opportunity to apply your skills and talent to spark both innovation and positive social change? Symend is a rapidly growing fintech company that combines behavioral science with advanced AI, data, and analytics capabilities to enable companies to engage at-risk customers more effectively and humanely. By creating better ways to approach individuals with empathy and dignity at the time when they need it most, Symend’s employees are helping to transform the science of customer engagement and improve lives in North America and around the world.
The Behavioural Scientist is responsible for creating customer engagement campaigns for Symend clients, and optimizing these campaigns to nudge customers toward self-treatment and better payment behavior. They will draw on their expertise and knowledge of Behavioural Science theories and tactics and leverage predictive models, research, A.I, and machine learning to drive successful strategies around customer messaging, delivery, and treatment.
The Behavioural Scientist is also responsible for contributing to IP development through the re-use of previously successful interventions where possible, as well as designing and documenting new interventions applied for re-use by other team members. They will collaborate with other Behavioural Scientists to extract learnings from the application of strategies across clients, for the purposes of Behavioural Science practice improvement, IP development, and the development of new platform features and tools.
What You'll Be Doing
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Using behavioural and social sciences, behavioural economics, data analysis, data models, and Symend guidelines and frameworks to inform customer engagement strategy design.
- Designing behavioural science-based engagement solutions to further refine strategy in areas prioritized by the Client Success Manager, based on input from their client and Symend’s analytics and Business Analyst teams.
- Supporting treatment performance root cause analysis and further analyses required to confidently recommendation optimization approach, as needed.
- Completing and receiving peer review and feedback on draft treatment designs.
- Working with a cross section of stakeholders both within Symend and externally, to ensure feasibility and effectiveness of engagement solutions designed.
- Confidently presenting treatment recommendations on best suited solution to internal and external stakeholders, and consideration of feedback from others.
- Educating stakeholders on scientific research and insights with the goal of soliciting buy in for recommended engagement solutions.
- Balancing client and Symend business needs, with solid research, analysis, and behavioural science practices in all tasks and projects assigned.
- Providing input on methodology and processes to deliver client-specific treatment strategies that balance the need for solutions tailored to business processes and business needs, with the desire to build IP.
- Working collaboratively with your peers to deeply understand effectiveness of specific intervention designs and curate x-client learnings to develop and improve IP.
- Providing inputs to, and consulting with, the product team to inform product direction.
- Facilitating engaging and persuasive conversations and presentations around Symend’s offering with clients and potential clients, as it relates to our application of behavioural science.
- Leveraging your business-facing experience to tell impactful stories with data and insights to senior leadership (internally and externally).
- Demonstrating an ability to mentor others within the team(s), serving as a subject matter expert for those around you.
- Open to and accepting of feedback from peers, executives, clients, and other stakeholders.
What You'll Need
- Master’s or PhD in psychology (EG: I/O, applied, social, cognitive, or consumer psychology) with work experience applying insights in a business or client-facing environment.
- Strong background in psychology, behavioural economics, or marketing science.
- 5+ years’ experience working in roles requiring:
- Working with, and presenting to, external stakeholders or senior business leaders
- The application of behavioural science to design interventions intended to drive behavioural change, and/or better understand human behavior
- Experience and expertise in collections and financial services
- Experience presenting to C-suite, and senior leadership level stakeholders (internally and externally)
- The ideal candidate will be based in the Eastern time zone.
- Professional of native fluency in Portuguese is an asset.
Key Competencies and Skills:
- Able to think critically, find creative solutions and workarounds, and effectively convey your thought process or rationale to other stakeholders.
- Skilled in collaborating with others, facilitating discussions, and providing feedback.
- Able to exercise high level of emotional intelligence and professional maturity.
- Able to strike a balance between confidence in recommendations presented and incorporating feedback from others where it makes sense to do so.
- Skilled at translating complex concepts to individuals without backgrounds in Behavioural Science.
- Able to function in an ambiguous, fast-moving environment.
This position requires frequent travel, customer-facing work, and/or attendance in a congregate work setting. Therefore, where permitted by applicable law, in accordance with the duty to protect the health and safety of employees and customers, and to perform the role, the successful incumbent must have and maintain an up-to-date immunization status as recommended by your local government or governmental agency (such as the CDC and your State mandates in the U.S. or Health Canada and your provincial/territorial health ministry in Canada), or an adequate plan to do so.
Don’t meet every single requirement? At Symend we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We could tell you all about our competitive compensation, flexible work environment, social Fridays, and awesome team events, but working at Symend is so much more than that!
Working at Symend means being part of a driven and collaborative team that values trust, accountability and continuous learning. We work hard, but always make time for fun!
You get the chance to do work that matters on a product that truly changes lives!
At Symend, we believe that all customers should be treated with empathy and dignity. That’s why we leverage our deep understanding of consumer behavior to create personalized interactions that better engage and empower customers at all points of the customer journey. Our digital engagement platform uses behavioral science, data science and advanced analytics to help our clients build stronger relationships with their customers. Symend: The science of engagement.™
Symend’s relationship-based approach keeps enterprises attuned to the changing needs of their customers and empowers them to take action. This increases customer satisfaction, lowers operating costs, and helps resolve past due bills before reaching collections.
Founded in 2016, Symend’s platform is purpose built to serve complex global enterprises in telecommunications, financial services, utilities and media. Symend is headquartered in Calgary and privately held, with global operations across Canada, the United States and Latin America.
Symend: The science of engagement.™
All positions require background screening. This will include criminal and education checks to comply with regulations.