Biosensors Algorithm Software Engineer
Garmin Canada Ltd.Cochrane, AB21 days ago
Garmin Canada has exciting opportunities for full-time software engineers who have a hunger for solving real-world problems with embedded systems. As a member of our biosensors team, you will design software algorithms to measure industry leading biometrics such as wrist based optical heart rate and SpO2. This team’s work is currently in over 40 wearables, providing essential features for Garmin’s customers. You will integrate biometric measurements into wearable products to enable compelling features while also pushing the boundaries on size, power and value. You will work directly with others across Garmin’s product segments, including Fitness and Outdoor, and be responsible for creating, productizing and maintaining new technologies for consumer products.
Software Engineers on the biosensors algorithm team will:
- Design innovative algorithms to measure biometrics such as heart rate and SpO2 from PPG signals
- Provide reliable solutions to a wide variety of difficult problems, ranging from signal processing in extremely low SNR environments, and statistical analysis of large noisy data sets, to runtime optimization to maximize battery life.
- Develop embedded software solutions, primarily in C, to be used throughout Garmin’s extensive ecosystem of consumer electronics products
- Participate in project leadership and/or program planning, including providing technical input to product development plans and concept documents, as part of Garmin’s global biosensors organization.
- Collaborate in peer code reviews and technical assessments in areas of expertise, providing comments and suggestions to support software designs and new technologies
- Mentor less-experienced Software Engineers, providing technical expertise and guidance
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software/Electrical/Computer Engineering, with a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0
- Relevant industry software engineering experience, which must include:
- Signal processing experience including digital filtering and spectral analysis
- Proven ability to develop innovative and creative solutions for complex problems
- Proficiency in writing software in C on embedded processors
- Experience with collaborative software development in a team environment
- Proficiency with designing well-architected software systems and modules that support new technology or improve capability / performance of existing functionality
- Demonstrated desire to produce software that “just works” through in-depth testing
Other desirable skills and experience include:
- Understanding of human physiology including blood circulation and PPG signals.
- Experience developing software on microcontrollers for small consumer electronic devices
- Experience working on multiple simultaneous development projects
- Experience debugging complex problems on embedded systems
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed
- Experience working on an Agile software team
- Proficient in using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, multi meters, and debuggers to design, test and validate embedded systems
- Excitement to create and deliver products for cycling, running, swimming and fitness!
At Garmin Canada, we create more than just products – we inspire solutions and innovations that change and shape how we live, work and play. You’ll get to work alongside top talent from around the globe while working on cutting-edge products and enabling compelling ecosystems with ultra-low power wireless technology. Here’s why you want to work for us:
You’ll bring products to life.
Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. Become a key contributor to our exciting portfolio of Garmin products and help us bring our devices from concept to market.
You’ll love the location.
Nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, we’re located just 15-minutes outside of Calgary in Cochrane, Alberta. A retreat from fast-paced cities - Cochrane allows us to build relationships with the community and focus on what we do best – creating innovative solutions for unique use-cases in the ultra-low power wireless and sport industries. With many other tech companies calling Cochrane home, we can’t think of a better place to be!
You’ll love our office culture.
Company BBQs, active sports, casual dress, volunteer opportunities and the occasional sneak peak of new release movies allows team members to get to know each other outside the office.
You’ll receive fantastic benefits.
Opportunities for professional development, no waiting period for vacation or our extensive benefit plan, RRSP matching, stock purchase options, product discounts and flexible work schedules are available for all team members.
You’ll be part of something big.
Our open concept, open door policy office supports a fun, collaborate and supportive work culture. All our team members, regardless of their team, are encouraged to think big and share their ideas. Our team members are innovators, solution creators and outside-the-box thinkers ready to take on any challenge.