We’re Hiring a Building Scientist!
- Wage based on experience $80,000 - $100,000
- Stock Options
- Benefits Package
- Remote from anywhere in Canada
Audette is creating carbon reduction plans for every existing building on the planet. We apply building science and machine learning to model the most important features that contribute to carbon emissions. Our platform turns data into Carbon Intelligence for commercial real estate’s zero-carbon future.
The world’s economies must transition to zero-carbon. With real estate representing 65% of global wealth and 40% of carbon emissions, there is no carbon-free future without carbon-free buildings. This is why we exist, and why we need you.
We are seeking a self-motivated Building Scientist to help generate actionable Carbon Intelligence for our data partners. You’ll play a pivotal role in encoding building science expertise into our platform, moving the decarbonization industry beyond traditional spreadsheet-based approaches and generating valuable insights at scale. You will be given ownership of key development objectives and the agency to explore solutions in pursuit of customer value.
This role reports to the Director of Engineering and the scope includes:
- Identifying decarbonization strategies for a wide range of buildings, considering technical feasibility, measure financial performance, and local regulatory requirements
- Growing a library of energy efficiency, electrification, load flexibility, and renewable energy strategies for achieving net zero emissions within a building
- Exploring opportunities to provide hourly or sub-hourly Carbon Intelligence, moving beyond the traditional typical monthly or annual timescales
- Training machine learning models to accurately identify building features and programming knowledge systems to make decarbonization recommendations
- Collaborating with our software and data teams to ingest and combine disparate data sources to uncover Carbon Intelligence for customers
Why this job is exciting:
- This is a ground-floor opportunity where your contributions will create significant impact
- We are using state-of-the-art approaches (e.g., data science, machine learning, and cloud-native technologies) to reduce carbon emissions from the built environment at scale
- Your expertise will be vital to our success and will influence strategic decisions
- Our rapid growth offers career development and mobility both upward and laterally
- Work with a diverse, cross-functional, multidisciplinary team of smart, motivated humans
As Audette grows across portfolios and continents, the intelligence you create will be re-incorporated into our architecture, making each iteration more accurate and actionable. This is how we achieve our vision of a carbon reduction plan for every building on the planet.
- You've been in many commercial buildings and can produce an ASHRAE Level 1 energy audit in your sleep
- You've worked through implementation of your recommendations and recognize the potential real-world complications that can arise
- You are comfortable communicating your carbon reduction measure recommendations to diverse audiences
- Experience with energy modeling software packages (e.g., EnergyPlus, IESVe, eQuest etc.)
- Strong analytical skills, including experience with Python, SQL, statistics, machine learning concepts, etc.
- An understanding of emerging technologies in energy efficiency, renewables, storage, carbon capture, etc.
- A working knowledge of renewable energy credit and carbon offset markets
- Experience working in startups or with software teams
We are committed to hiring dedicated, empathetic people who are eager to bring our audacious vision to reality. If you're excited about this role but your strengths don’t align exactly with the job description, you are encouraged to apply; we aren’t looking for someone who ticks every item on the list. We seek people who are eager to learn and grow.
Working at Audette:
Together, we’re creating something unprecedented to tackle a huge global problem. To make this happen, we strive to create a best-in-class workplace in many areas, including continuous skills improvement, servant leadership, empathic communication, high-trust culture, and more.
As a member of Audette you will work on challenging problems of critical importance with a team of building science and software engineers. You will have a major impact over our technology, product and company culture.
Audette is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for all. Regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or parental responsibilities, we firmly believe that our work is at its best when everyone feels free to be their most authentic self.
Our Hiring Process:
- Initial screening interview (15 mins)
- Skills Test
- Second Technical interview (1-2 hours)
- Final interview (30 mins) with team
- Reference checks + offer