Contract Software Developer, Java/Python
Who We Are & Where We are going
Semaphore is the leading global provider of software solutions for high throughput and high complexity molecular diagnostic laboratories. Our clients are pushing the limits of genetic sequencing and other molecular diagnostic technologies to fight cancer, increase diagnostic accuracy, and improve health outcomes for the general population. We are extremely proud of our contribution to the Covid-19 pandemic response, which enabled our clients to increase critical high-volume testing capacity in their geographical areas.
Semaphore’s culture is based on putting people first. We provide our staff with genuine support for their well-being and encourage their best work through autonomy, flexibility and continuous learning. We strive to create an environment where individuals feel a connection to our mission, each other and the community.
In addition to our expanding business providing expert software services, Semaphore has embarked on an exciting new phase. Our team is building Labbit, the intelligent Laboratory System of the future. The platform provides key infrastructure to clinical genomic laboratories that will further enable them to realize the full potential of genomic science. This innovative product will help to advance diagnostics and therapies, resulting in improved health outcomes across the globe. We are looking to grow our team with people fascinated by the intersection of software and healthcare and want to be part of a purpose-driven team that is disrupting how science informs human health.
About the Opportunity
We are currently seeking experienced Software Developers who have a strong working knowledge of Python or Java. Experience working in the domain of genomics, clinical laboratories or health science is an asset but not required. This opportunity is to support projects that will require additional technical support outside our current team over a fixed term.
As a developer working with our customers, you will help to translate the speculative work of researchers and scientists into applied software that makes a real impact in the world of diagnostics and therapeutics. A focus on customer success is an integral part of the work, as the Semaphore team collaborates closely with our customers to deliver on project achievements. Our projects often include working within the customer team, so an ability to communicate effectively directly with customers is a critical component of our roles. Success in the role is tied to understanding project requirements and translating them into high-quality code, with an ability to balance the timely delivery of milestones. We anticipate that a unique and challenging component of our projects will be ramping up into the complex domain of laboratory science.
We value continuous improvement and the ability to assess and respond to shifting priorities. We are looking for individuals who share these values and bring a passion for applying their skills and experience to real-world software problems in the molecular diagnostics industry and who are comfortable asking questions and seeking clarification when needed.
Our contracts are generally a minimum of 6 months, with the potential for extension. Remote candidates are welcome to apply; we only ask that your work hours overlap with the Pacific time zone (PST) eligible to work in Canada or the US.
- 6+ years of professional experience with Python or Java
- Experience working directly with customers to gather and translate requirements
- Exposure to CI (Continuous Integration)
- Experience or solid understanding of Agile methodologies
Nice to Haves:
- Serverless Platform: AWS Lambdas or Google Cloud
- CSS or LESS or SASS
- GIT and Github
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
- Electronic Laboratory Notebooks (ELN)
- Exposure to the Illumina Clarity
- Biology or Molecular Biology degree
What to Expect:
Within one month:
- You’ll ramp up on your project's engineering stack by collaborating with the team and customer
- You’ll learn the project’s implementation process, code standards, key milestones, and configuration requirements.
- You’ll become comfortable with our collaboration tools (Slack, Github, Jira, GSuite, and Confluence).
- You’ll experience a company stand-up and enjoy lunch with the team.
Within three months:
- You’ll be fully ramped up on the tech stack, tools, metrics, and the team will be benefiting from your valued contribution and input in code reviews.
- You’ll be implementing full features for distribution to our customers.
- You’ll have analyzed problems in development or customer environments and support team members through troubleshooting.
- You’ll be comfortable applying your unique technical and personal expertise gained from previous companies and projects.
- You’ll know the capabilities of your team members, trust them to get their jobs done and provide technical support as needed.
Beyond three months:
- You’ll be able to identify common patterns for customization, system interoperability, automation, and develop reusable tools or processes to inform our future client engagements.
- You’ll be confident interacting with clients and helping them use the systems we’ve implemented.
- You’ll have participated in the project’s technical components and have driven the project forward.
- You’ll have a solid picture of how software plays a critical role in the management of our customer’s business.
- You’ll feel comfortable with the tech stack, understand the communication patterns and common pitfalls in projects and have contributed across the entire development lifecycle.
To apply for this opportunity, please visit our Careers Website here: https://jobs.lever.co/semaphoresolutions/a9b204bb-989e-4574-abb7-44ff3a1edbce