Centennial College recognizes and affirms Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Indigenous ways of knowing as central to the vibrancy and uniqueness of its learning and working academic mission. We strongly encourage applications from members of Indigenous communities and all equity-deserving groups including Women, Racialized, Persons with Disabilities, and LGBTQ+ communities.
We also recognize that Centennial is situated on the Treaty Lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and pay tribute to their legacy as well as that of all First Peoples that have been and remain present here in Toronto. We recognize that First Peoples come from sovereign Nations and that part of understanding our responsibilities of residing on this territory are understanding the true history, circumstances and legacy of the Treaties signed here (such as the Toronto Purchase, Robinson-Huron Treaty and Williams Treaties) and including pre-contact Treaties and Agreements between sovereign Nations and that all peoples in this area are therefore Treaty people with obligations and responsibilities to all our relations.
Security and Privacy are critical to both the reputation and financial viability of the College and have been identified as top priority items for IT. In the fast-moving world of higher education technology, it is imperative that institutions have well informed plans to ensure that all aspects of security and privacy are addressed. To achieve a secure and high functioning environment it is necessary to create a target design for technology which identifies potential areas of exposure and determines how these gaps can be reduced to appropriate and approved levels. Some potential gaps may be too costly to eliminate but can be controlled and monitored to bring risks to an acceptable level.
The Cybersecurity Architect will work with project teams on new application implementation and new infrastructure projects to ensure the architectural integrity is maintained. The incumbent will have a wide-ranging knowledge of systems development technology, Banner, servers and networks, and cloud offerings. The incumbent will work with the Risk Analyst and other members of IT to address risks in all IT operations and work with key members of the various departments to find appropriate solutions to issues and exposures. Finally, a key part of the role is keeping all of IT Management informed of the rationale behind the Security architecture, convincing users of the business value, and monitoring how the plan is evolving over time.
Develop and Maintain the IT Systems Architecture:
- Work closely with the Centennial College Enterprise Architecture and Risk Management teams to ensure the IT Systems Architecture is aligned with corporate plans
- Understand the business's economic and financial levers that are susceptible to digital transformation, to effectively support and guide technology investment decisions.
- Design and construct technology plans that will identify the key components to support the future business directions and will provide an efficient and maintainable set of technology resources.
- Attend seminars and workshops, such as Ellucian and Educause, to remain current on higher education technology directions. Work with user groups from other higher education organizations to help identify and communicate opportunities for technology firms to better understand the needs of students, faculty, and staff.
Execution and Governance:
- Provide input to policies and procedures for security related standards and assist the Manager, Cybersecurity and Compliance in creating and maintaining the security framework.
- Regularly review and update the reference architecture documents to ensure they are adjusted for changes to the operating environment and to take advantage of new technologies.
- Detail opportunities and solutions that can affect strategic planning decisions and outcomes.
- Identify areas that can benefit from shared technology to reduce inefficiencies and duplication.
- Identify where controls need to be built into applications and networks to facilitate reporting for both efficiency of operations and reporting of potential risks of exposing data to unauthorized users.
- Conduct periodic reviews to ensure the reference architecture is being followed by projects and ongoing operations.
- Monitor data access controls to ensure data protection measures are being followed.
- Monitor access controls to applications, systems, and infrastructure to ensure the policies and procedures are being followed.
- Monitor alignment of all IT operations with security goals and objectives.
Leadership and Guidance:
- Provide leadership to the entire college in technology directions and policies related to IT security.
- Provide IT guidance with a framework to build and develop systems that meet future needs and take advantage of the latest technologies.
- Lead vendor working groups to provide direction in capabilities and technology choices.
- Communicate broadly and deliver presentations to college wide committees and senior management.
- Participate on college wide committees as required.
- Minimum four (4) year Bachelor’s Degree (e.g. BSc) or Master’s Degree (asset) in Business, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Analysis or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
- Any of the following certifications or equivalent: TOGAF/SABSA/CISSP/GSEC/GCIH/CCISO/CISM
- Minimum eight (8) or more years of experience in at least three of the following disciplines:
- Business, information, solution or technical architecture
- Application architecture and implementation
- Information governance standards or policy
- Middleware, Information analysis, database management or operations in a multi-tier environment
- Demonstrated experience in operations planning, applications design and planning. Business Intelligence experience is an asset
- Demonstrated experience working on security controls projects implementation and skilled in project coordination.
- Previous experience working with Client Services and Helpdesk.
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills in order to work in a large client oriented working environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing personal development and upgrading of technical skills through business activities.
Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer.
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by January 3, 2022 at 11:59 PM EST. Please quote Job ID J0922-2190. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).