Manifest ClimateToronto, ON16 days ago
Our purpose is to shine a light on climate-related risks and opportunities and advance strategies to thrive. To do so, we're building a world-class team to innovate and implement transformative climate strategies.
In January 2020, climate change visionary and entrepreneur Laura Zizzo and successful technology entrepreneur Jeremy Greven joined forces. Together, they launched Manifest with a vision to create the world's most intelligent climate change for business platform. As a result, Manifest Climate was created, a software platform to help companies navigate climate change risks and opportunities. Featuring AI, advanced analytics, climate science, industry best practices, and much more, the platform allows companies to be more Climate Confident™. It provides a clear and straightforward way to understand, assess, govern, and disclose climate-related risks and creates greater transparency for stakeholders.
At Manifest, we work with forward-thinking organizations across a broad range of industries, including finance, government, real estate, and more. Our role is to engage and empower businesses to develop climate and resilience strategies, educate teams on climate developments, equip them with the tools to identify and manage risks and opportunities and provide leading solutions.
We have an immense opportunity to scale our expertise to a global market that requires fast, smart support. We're building a world-class team to inform and inspire substantive, positive climate action. If you are a forward-thinker interested in purpose-driven work that helps real-world decision-makers and influencers respond to the climate crisis, we think you'd like it here.
Who we need
Working in close collaboration with our Data Science Lead, we are looking to hire a Data Scientist to join our team. This is an opportunity for someone who wants to grow their skills and build a solution that will make a difference in the world. You will use advanced machine learning techniques to drive business innovation and to help solve some of the most complex processes in corporate climate change. This is a chance to contribute to the development and deployment of cutting edge natural language processing systems to automate time-consuming analysis and drive scalability for our product.
Who you are
You are an experienced Data Scientist with a powerful combination of academic and practical experience; from theory to building out the architecture. You want a step up to work side-by-side with our Lead, building out our Machine Learning models, and you have the skills, the innovation, and the drive to be an active player on the team. You like to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. You are continuously exploring what can be accomplished with the data.
What’s in it for you
Challenges, impact, and inspiration. You want to channel your passion for climate consciousness into your daily work. You want the professional reward of working on the most important issues facing the world today with a diverse team of brilliant yet humble, funny yet incredibly professional collaborators. This is a genuine opportunity to work on climate issues, and to be a thought leader impacting how a wide range of clients think about and act on climate change. You want to be part of a company responding to a massive market opportunity ahead of a huge adoption curve, where soon thousands of public companies will have to disclose climate-related risks and opportunities.
How you will make a difference:
- Code. You will translate our methodologies developed in-house into production-ready Python code that can be used in our commercial application, and you will be coding all other machine learning work using Python, Bash, and SQL.
- Create. You will build natural language processing pipelines, including PDF text extraction, data cleaning, feature engineering, and model development for both classification and regression models.
- Collaborate. You will work with our team of in-house researchers who are generating all of our data to ensure high quality and accurate tagging so that we can build the most accurate models possible.
- Autonomy. You will embrace and excel in an agile, self-managing environment that encourages everyone to act with a sense of radical responsibility. Manifest operates at the leading edge of both climate change intelligence and leadership paradigms, which offers the thrill of innovation and the challenge of ambiguity. You will thrive as we grow and evolve together. Being part of Manifest allows you to bring your full self to work.
What you bring to our collaborative space:
- The experience. You are a Data Scientist with several years industry experience developing machine learning models for production use. You have a track record of success building models that generate lift or real-world value.
- The intuition. You love solving novel problems, learning about new approaches, and building off of work that others have done to create new solutions. You are continuously seeking answers to satisfy your curious nature. You view machine learning as part art and part science, and you want to use that knowledge and capability to drive positive change in the world.
- The technical toolbox. You are deeply familiar with Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing. You have proven ability to build solutions using Python and SQL, and have extensive experience with libraries like Pandas and SciKit Learn. You can learn new tools independently and quickly.
- The education. You have a Bachelor or Graduate Degree in a related field or relevant experience with a scientific background. A Masters or Ph.D. Degree in Math, Computer Science or Statistics is ideal.
- The dedication. You are purpose-driven with a desire to change the global trajectory when it comes to climate and deeply committed to our mission. You are genuinely excited to apply your talents in building our brand and expanding the list of clients we serve. New ideas and new technology interest you. The willingness to persevere despite obstacles, the confidence to try and fail, and the humility to learn, grow and adapt describe you.
- The collaborative approach. You have the high degree of emotional intelligence and curiosity necessary to thrive in our self-managing environment. You embrace diverse perspectives and excel at building relationships. You are happy to jump in wherever and whenever needed.
Evolve, improve, and thrive with us
Our purpose drives everything: shine a light on climate-related risks and opportunities and advance strategies to thrive. Our unified belief in this purpose drives our culture, the calibre of talent we attract, our work ethic, resolve, and determination.
Our values include a relentless focus on customers, making things simple and useful, and creating thriving ecosystems. We have other values too, but they're table stakes: transparency, integrity, authenticity, fairness, wholeness, open, honest communication, agility, balance, self-management, and autonomy. In short, we want to build an amazing place to work where every team member is empowered, supported, and energized.
We expect to make some mistakes along our journey, but that's all part of finding our way. We're here to learn and grow together—to build a fantastic company that makes a difference, and hopefully, has a legacy that lasts forever.
We are always on the lookout for committed and passionate climate-change professionals interested in contributing their talents in a challenging, energetic, and inter-disciplinary environment. If you feel you meet 70% of the qualifications we are looking for and are determined to make a difference, we encourage you to apply. We promise to consider your application fully.
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities where we live and work. We encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.