Ministry of Forests
$72,724.97 - $83,014.85 annually
The Forest Carbon and Climate Services Branch (FCCSB) focuses on forest carbon and climate science, policy, and analysis to support implementation of the Ministry’s Climate Change mandate, including the Ministry’s Climate Change Strategy, CleanBC, and the Climate Change Preparedness and Adaptation Strategy. FCCSB is establishing the Future Forest Ecosystems Centre (FFEC) to develop long-term forecasts of climate-induced ecological stresses and related hazards. The focus of the FFEC is translation of research expertise into data and tools that can be used directly by planners and practitioners.
The Data Scientist is the lead computing and data analysis expert for the FFEC. The Data Scientist works closely with other FFEC scientists to build decision-support tools for managing climate change risks to ecosystems. This role also requires proactive engagement of scientific and policy experts in other branches and ministries. The position undertakes independent professional data analysis and represents the ministry at partner or stakeholder meetings.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Post-graduate degree in Data science, computer science, ecology, meteorology, GIS, statistics, physics, mathematics or related field plus minimum 1 year related experience*, OR
- Degree in Data science, computer science, ecology, meteorology, GIS, statistics, physics, mathematics or a related field plus minimum 2 years related experience*
*Related experience may include (Academic experience may also be considered):
- Experience using efficient programming languages (e.g., C++) and either R or Python
- Experience developing open-source code using collaborative, version-control software such as GitHub.
- Experience with computer architecture, Linux operating systems, high-performance computing, and cloud computing.
- Experience using and building relational databases, e.g., PostgreSQL.
- Experience in designing and executing analyses of large datasets.
For more information, and to apply online by December 4, 2022, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/93180