Please include a cover letter with your resume (in one file) describing how you would be a great fit at Photonic and what attributes you could bring to our growing team.
The Director, Hardware Engineering will oversee the hardware design of Photonic’s industry-pioneering quantum processors in silicon. This role will manage a highly collaborative and multi-disciplinary team of engineers responsible for hardware components, electronics, and controls. You will work closely with the technical leadership team on core development in a number of key areas: mixed-signal electronic circuits, RF-Microwave circuit design, cryogenic systems, device modeling, and design and integration of devices within our systems. The Director, Hardware Engineering will guide teams into making schedules that are both ambitious and achievable, understanding the balance between delivering regular product releases and the perfection of design.
WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO
- Lead the hardware team responsible for the development, design, and optimization of mixed-signal electronic circuits, RF-Microwave circuit design, cryogenic systems, and measurement for truly scalable quantum computing.
- Build the team’s capabilities in the key hardware components for our quantum silicon processors: mixed signal design, electronic layout and simulation, back-end of line packaging, device assembly and test, and process development
- Accelerate the growth of a high-performing engineering team that is strong both in technology innovation as well as in best practice engineering
- Collaborate with the Director of Integrated Photonics on the application-specific process design kit (PDK) for Photonic’s silicon quantum processors. The PDK will include a wide variety of integrated classical and quantum photonic parts, electrical and photonic IOs, electronic functionality, and packaging
- Manage teams and projects through the product development process from concept to transfer
- Support technical evaluation of design requirements /constraints and guide teams in developing concepts, evaluating risks, and making effective and timely design decisions
- Manage resource allocation effectively across multiple projects
- Drive research and development in the low power and low temperature electronics field
- Prepare schematics and layouts with common EDA
- Source required parts, equipment, and work with relevant vendors
- Work on issues of integration with other sub-systems
- Ensure the cross-compatibility between parts and processes throughout the design process
- Manage teams through design and process parameter optimization to achieve robust, reliable product function with high yield
WHAT YOU BRING TO OUR TEAM
- 10+ years as a technical director or engineering manager with responsibility for directing and managing cross-functional technical teams to develop electrical, electronic, and mechanical systems
- Proven track record of delivering hardware products on-time and on-budget
- Experience in creating and managing development plans and schedules, including setting clear objectives for development teams
- Undergraduate or master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field.
- Experience with configuration management, product lifecycle management (PLM) tools
- Significant design experience on integrated systems with electrical, and mechanical components
- Deep expertise in supporting a team in the use of electronic layout and simulation tools like Altium Designer, OrCAD-PSpice, Keysight-ADS, or equivalent
- Experience with high-frequency signals, EMI, and EMC, as well as designing and optimizing electronic circuits and systems
- Experience working with team members from both industry and academia
- Outstanding teamwork skills
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Experience working in a start-up environment is a plus
Photonic is designing the world’s first quantum processor in silicon. It would be awesome if you had some familiarity with quantum physics, mathematics, and programming, but we will ensure that team members will have the opportunity to learn about quantum computing as we grow.
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH US
- Get involved with a quantum startup company set to redefine computing
- Work closely with some of the brightest innovators in quantum technologies
- Enjoy a fast-paced and fun environment where you can try new things while solving innovative challenges every day
- Inclusive company culture
- Competitive salary, benefits (including life insurance, extended health, dental, long term disability, and a flexible spending account), and potential upside
The base annual salary range for this full-time role is between $181,000 to $249,000. This range reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all Canadian locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The description above is what we think an ideal candidate would look like for this role. At Photonic, we understand that everyone has a different work and life journey. If you feel your experience is close to what we've described, but you might not meet all the requirements, please still apply! We are also committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences, knowing that these very differences inspire innovation and build better teams. If there are any accommodations our team can make throughout our hiring process, please let us know.