Diversity & Inclusion Strategy Lead, Digital Strategy and Products
CBC / Radio-CanadaToronto7 days ago
Working at CBC:
At the CBC, we all have a story to tell. What’s yours?
If you share our passion for Canadian storytelling and you wish to help us engage with individuals and communities across our various digital platforms, this is where you’ll want to be!
Every day, you will have an opportunity to shape the way in which Canadians see themselves reflected in our digital services. Your work will have a direct impact on how millions of Canadians from various communities connect with our products, with one another, and with the diverse voices that make our country so unique.
You will have the opportunity to play a part in enlightening and entertaining Canadians through our innovative work in building the mediums that deliver our content. We are an innovative hub, where the talented professionals we work with are respected and valued for their contributions. Our product teams are vibrant and our work culture strives to achieve the highest standards of diversity and inclusion. We believe that hiring people with different career paths and backgrounds is fundamental in our shared success and in building healthy and highly performant teams. When you join our mission, you are not only shaping the vision of the CBC, but the future of our country.
Why is this role important?
At CBC, our most important priority is reflecting the diversity of our country and enabling every voice to be heard and to contribute. From the newsroom to behind the scenes; from coast-to-coast; and across every team here at Digital Products, we have been reflecting on how to do better, listening to the voices of our communities and initiating change. There is more work to be done in our ongoing mission to increase diversity, fight systemic racism, and amplify the stories and experiences that often don't get heard.
Reporting to the Director, Software Development, we are looking for a Diversity & Inclusion Strategy Lead, Digital Strategy and Products with a blend of change management and project management skills to help the CBC's Digital Products and Strategy team build a more inclusive culture and a more diverse workforce. You will support the creation of awareness training and coaching that broadens our team's understanding and results in enthusiastic group engagement with our diversity and inclusion plan. You will lead initiatives to increase our workforce's diversity, including partnering with groups outside of our organization, representing diverse and underrepresented communities.
Here’s why we should work together:
Our digital teams’ values - collaboration, learning, and continuous improvement - embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas and supporting their pursuit of new skills and their desired career progression.
Here at CBC Digital Strategy & Products, we want you to be happy and feel good at work. It is essential that work be a safe space where our employees are able to share their authentic selves with one another and to push each other to challenge conventions.
Perks you can look forward to:
- Flexible work schedules, allowing you to prioritize yourself, your family and your work;
- Work from home opportunities;
- Competitive total rewards package;
- 20% of time for innovation, learning and development; wherever your interests lie;
- Opportunities to work with cutting edge technology;
- Opportunities for continued learning and professional development;
- Opportunities to become a member of our Employee Resource Groups;
- Pair programming and mentorship opportunities, where you can learn from the best in the industry and help coach new talent;
- A creative and dynamic work environment, where your ideas and contributions can be heard, valued and respected;
- A supportive management team committed to upholding the highest standards of diversity and inclusivity;
- An environment which favours experimentation and an iterative approach in order to achieve the highest form of technical innovation.
How you will make an impact:
- Plan and manage. You will conceive of and execute on diversity and inclusion initiatives. You will support the Digital Product team’s diversity and inclusion working group in moving initiatives forward.
- Measure. You will track the progress of inclusion and diversity initiatives across the team.
- Network. You will develop relationships with groups outside the CBC, whose support will help us realize our inclusion and diversity.
- Collaborate and strengthen. You will work closely with our teams to further develop a strong inclusion and diversity strategy. You will connect with groups across CBC/Radio-Canada on their inclusion work to align initiatives and maximize opportunities to work together.
- Share. You will facilitate diversity and inclusion training and coaching. You will develop a communications plan and coordinate the messaging for the department’s inclusion and diversity work to the full team at regular intervals.
- Succeed and continue the work. After one year, you will have successfully rolled out projects resulting in our digital team being more inclusive in its behaviour, and more diverse in its composition. You will have identified and positioned a series of active initiatives to further realize our objectives.
What you bring to our team:
- The passion and the drive. You are widely engaged in the movement towards an improved Canadian landscape through positive action on diversity and inclusion. You have a genuine interest, energy, and commitment to immersing yourself in leading the strategic and practical activities to increase and realize diversity and inclusion at CBC Digital products.
- The lived experience. You understand the nature of this role, having been directly impacted by the root causes and established practices we are working to dismantle. You naturally embrace our values of collaboration, learning, bridge-building, and transparency.
- The awareness. You have a powerful connection to underrepresented communities across Canada and a heightened need for cultural sensitivity. You are an active listener and you respect and appreciate the perspectives, ideas, and points of view presented by others.
- The inspiration. You are motivated to make a difference. You have an engaging manner and open approach that enables you to successfully coach, cultivate, and bring out the best in everyone. You have demonstrated skills in mentorship, talent recognition, staff development, and conflict resolution.
- The experience. You have proven success in project management and complex change management. You have experience leading an organization through the conception of and unification around an objective, defining the changes required to realize it, and spearheading the work towards it. You can influence and inspire a cross-functional team, driving activities to completion.
- The relationship-building strengths. You have exceptional communication and presentation skills. You can navigate and guide teams through an ambiguous environment, share ideas effectively and foster collaboration across all levels of the organization.
At the CBC, we recognize that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. We value diversity of thought and of experience, and we are excited to hear from you! Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning, and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet most of the qualifications and you are excited by the possibility of adding to the rich culture of the CBC, take a chance and express your interest by applying now!
If you’re interested in reading more about the various backgrounds of the talented people that make up our teams, our exciting new projects, and what we’re currently working on, check out our Digital Labs blog on Medium!
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.