DatabricksToronto, ONa month ago
At Databricks, we are obsessed with enabling data teams to solve the world’s toughest problems, from security threat detection to cancer drug development. We do this by building and running the world’s best data and AI infrastructure platform, so our customers can focus on the high value challenges that are central to their own missions.
Founded in 2013 by the original creators of Apache Spark, Databricks has grown from a tiny corner office in Berkeley, California to a global organization with over 1000 employees. Thousands of organizations, from small to Fortune 100, trust Databricks with their mission-critical workloads, making us one of the fastest growing SaaS companies in the world.
Our engineering teams build highly technical products that fulfill real, important needs in the world. We constantly push the boundaries of data and AI technology, while simultaneously operating with the resilience, security and scale that is critical to making customers successful on our platform.
We develop and operate one of the largest scale software platforms. The fleet consists of millions of virtual machines, generating terabytes of logs and processing exabytes of data per day. At our scale, we regularly observe cloud hardware, network, and operating system faults, and our software must gracefully shield our customers from any of the above.
To continue scaling the business, we are establishing a major engineering center in Toronto. As a first step, we are looking for a few engineering managers/directors and senior engineers to form the Toronto founding team. As a founding member of our Canadian R&D center, you will be critical in growing the new Toronto engineering center to a major, high functioning R&D organization for Databricks.
As an Engineering Manager, you will:
- Recruit a world-class software engineering team, from sourcing to closing.
- Lead and drive high performance engineering team building a reliable, secure, and scalable SaaS infrastructure and product.
- Establish high technical standards through processes and culture.
- Mentor and coach engineers to help them carve out a fulfilling career.
- Help develop a multi-year vision with incremental deliverables.
- Roll up the sleeves and implement major parts of the vision.
- Evangelize and uphold our cultural principles: be customer obsessed, be data-driven, team work makes the dream work, and own it.
- At least two years of building and leading highly complex, technical engineering teams.
- Driven by delivering customer value and impact.
- Ability to attract, hire, and coach world-class engineers. Can uplevel existing team via hiring top-notch senior talent, growing leaders and helping struggling members. Can gain trust of team and guide their careers.
- Experience managing distributed teams preferred.
- Existing experience building and running cloud platforms or demonstrated ability to quickly learn new concepts in the SaaS space (e.g technical background and fast learner).
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and multiple stakeholders.
- Comfortable working cross functionality with product management and directly with customers; ability to deeply understand product and customer personas.
- Extended health care including dental and vision
- Life/AD&D and disability coverage
- Equity awards
- Gym reimbursement
- Annual personal development fund
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)