We’re looking for a Team Lead to lead the developers on our Rider Experience team!
Our Spare headquarters is located in Vancouver, BC, but this position is open to remote work options within Canada. Unfortunately, we are not able to hire this position outside of Canada at this time.
About this role ✨
As an Engineering Team Lead, for the Rider Experience team, you will...
- Report directly to the Director of Engineering, impacting both product strategy and execution;
- Work as an individual contributor on the Rider Experience Team, leading technical decisions and strategy;
- Own a part of Spare’s codebase and documentation through active participation in code reviews and technical design meetings;
- Be responsible for creating a frictionless mobile app build and release process, improve the company’s approaches to automated end-to-end testing, and architect our code in a way to facilitates rapid iteration on effective and consistent UX designs;
- Act as manager and coach to a small team of three to five software engineers, conducting regular one-on-ones, providing technical guidance, and being hands on with code reviews and pair programming as needed;
- Create and articulate engineering goals, define quarterly objectives, and develop strategies to deliver more value to customers;
- Lead sprint rituals such as daily standups, sprint planning and retrospectives;
- Contribute to ongoing iteration and improvement of Spare’s engineering processes and practices;
- Model effective leadership and teamwork by actively collaborating with other engineering teams and other teams in the company to develop customer-focused solutions;
- Write and maintain robust, efficient and maintainable code, focusing on cost-effectiveness and reliability, and developing in a way that supports rapid iteration;
- Collaborate actively with the Product and Design teams to influence the product roadmap and make scope and prioritization decisions.
About you ✨
- You are an experienced frontend or mobile developer (4+ years preferred);
- You have had ownership over complex projects, participated and led architectural conversations, and collaborated with other disciplines to develop software solutions that best fit customer needs;
- You have demonstrated success implementing top-quality UX flows, in a environment of tight collaboration between engineering and design;
- You are comfortable with uncertainty, and have demonstrated courage and effectiveness when dealing with complex problems;
- You have shown superb professional judgment in balancing time spent on new feature development versus paying technical debt;
- You have demonstrated experience creating software in a technology startup that is focused on disrupting an incumbent industry.
It will be considered a plus (nice to have) if you have:
- Experience in the on-demand mobility space, including transit, carsharing, ride hailing or fleet management;
- Experience building products with accessibility in mind, including knowledge of WCAG and other applicable standards;
- Experience managing a team of engineers, fostering a motivating, supportive and collaborative work environment;
- Experience with key parts of our stack. We deploy to web, iOS and Android using React, React Native, Expo, TypeScript, Node.js, PostgreSQL and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement?
Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification in the job posting.
At Spare, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment so we strongly encourage you to apply even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined. We also do our best to respond to all applications we receive.