WESTMAN COMMUNICATIONS GROUP (Westman) is seeking applications from energetic, highly motivated individuals to become part of our growing team!
Westman is an industry-leading communications provider based in Brandon MB, offering residential and commercial High-Speed Internet, Digital TV, and Phone services in communities across Manitoba. Westman also owns and operates radio stations Q Country 91.5 FM and 94.7 STAR FM, which broadcast throughout southwestern Manitoba. Established in 1977, as a locally owned and operated cooperative, Westman is dedicated to delivering competitive and innovative services, providing an exceptional member experience, and supporting the communities we serve. Westman empowers our team members to be innovative, team-oriented, community-based, and customer-focused, championing a culture centered around strong values.
Based in Brandon and reporting directly to the Manager, Construction and Maintenance, the Fiber Optic Technician is responsible for all aspects of construction, maintenance, installation, testing, and repair of Westman Communications Group (WCG’s) Fibre Optic systems with a focus on providing exceptional customer service and support.
What you’ll do:
- Complete work orders and service requests for construction, installation and repairs of fibre optic cables and equipment in adherence to WCG policies, procedures, and standards of practice
- Physically manage conduit and fiber cables within vaults, cabinets, and conduit as per standards
- Perform Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR) and light testing to ensure all construction activities are completed within WCG engineering standards
- Repair or replace faulty Broadband electronics, Coaxial and fibre optic cables as required
- Perform cable locates when required
- On fibre drops, complete splicing within the vault and at the side of location; on coaxial drops, complete connectors on the plant and at the customer end
What you’ll bring to the team:
- 2-3 years’ experience in both residential wiring and construction
- 2-year Telecommunications, Electronic Technician diploma, or a related field or 2 years of fibre installation and splicing experience is required
- Valid certification in Basic Rescuer CPR, Emergency First Aid, and Confined Space
- Strong interpersonal skills; professional, courteous, and friendly with exceptional customer service skills
- Strong analytical and technical aptitude with the ability to read and understand fibre optic maps, broadband maps, and construction wiring practices
- Must hold and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to carry 75 lbs.
- Must be available for emergency services as required
- Must be able and willing to travel to remote communities with the possibility of extended stays away
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: This position is open until filled.
Westman is a successful, fast-paced and dynamic organization, with a positive, team-oriented work environment. We offer competitive compensation including a comprehensive and unique benefits package. Leverage your knowledge with a local technology leader.
Apply today to join our team at https://westmancom.com/careers and start your exciting career journey with us!
As an equal-opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. While we thank each applicant for their interest, only selected candidates will be contacted.