Firmware Engineer (C/C++)
ZeroKeyCalgary, Alberta, Canada4 days ago
At ZeroKey we have one mission; to drive optimization through digital transformation. Our world is inherently analog, rendering most “things” invisible to the digital domain. ZeroKey is changing that, one factory, warehouse, and facility at a time.
Through our patented and breakthrough IIoT localization technology, Smart Space, ZeroKey is digitizing things that have never been digitized before. Driven by Smart Space’s millimetre-level 3D digitization accuracy, we’re bringing real-world workflows and processes into the digital realm like never before to power previously impossible digital solutions that redefine state-of-the-art.
ZeroKey is a venture-funded, high-growth tech company headquartered in Calgary, with regional offices opening soon in Toronto, Silicon Valley, and Stuttgart. Originally started in mid-2016, ZeroKey has experienced several consecutive years of tremendous growth on the order of 9,000% annually. Today, with 24+ core patents and products in use across an exponentially growing client list reaching over 15 different countries and 3 different continents, we are excited to be adding this new role to the team along with several others as part of our long-term growth plan.
Want to know what it’s like to work at ZeroKey? Join us for a tour of our brand new 20,000 sq. ft. facility in Calgary’s Airways industrial park:
As a firmware engineer, you will operate within our firmware team and collaborate across several engineering teams to develop core features of ZeroKey’s Smart Space technology. Your contributions will directly drive key new features and technological improvements of ZeroKey’s primary products. The successful applicant will have a strong aptitude for software integration, problem-solving, team-oriented development, and agile methodologies
General Role & Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain new and existing firmware codebases and related tools.
- Analyze, design, and develop tests and test-automation suites.
- Participate in all phases of product development lifecycle from specification to testing.
- Integrate electronic hardware, firmware, and software into complete systems.
- Effectively communicate progress and problems to management and other departments.
- Create usage guides and documentation of developed features.
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support, and enhancements of existing systems and platforms.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with business stakeholders, project managers, and other engineering teams to achieve key business goals.
- Provide recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Work alongside other engineers on the team to elevate technology and consistently apply best practices.
Experience & Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in software development
- Arm Cortex M: 1 year (Required)
- Nordic Semi nRF5 series: 1 year (Preferred)
- Firmware development: 3 years (Required)
Required Skills & Knowledge
- 1 or more years of Arm Cortex M experience (exp. /w Nordic Semi nRF5 series a major benefit!)
- Strong C/C++ knowledge and skills
- Deep understanding of RTOS methodologies and
- S.O.L.I.D. Object-oriented design principles
- Test-driven development, assertion libraries, and associated frameworks
- Experience with design patterns, dependency injection, IoC frameworks
- Distributed version control systems and associated tools (Git preferred)
- Asynchronous programming experience
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Critical and pragmatic thinking
- A collaborative, ego-free approach to problem-solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of basic signal processing concepts and methods
- Experience computationally optimizing algorithms on embedded platforms
- Familiarity with modern DevOps tools and CI/CD workflows
- Embedded networking experience (IP/TCP/UDP/HTTP/Web Sockets)
- Experience working on large scale IoT products
- Higher-level development experience (C#, .NET, Java, Windows, Android)
- Familiarity with ROS
- Full-time, Permanent
- $68,163.00-$124,980.00 per year
- Flexible working hours
- Dental care
- Life insurance
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Work from home opportunities
- Disability insurance
- Vacation & paid time off
- Discounted/free food
- Casual dress
- On-site parking
- Company events & social hours
- 8-hour shift
- We strictly adhere to municipal, provincial, and federal COVID-19 guidelines. This includes work from home arrangements, only essential staff permitted in-office, mandatory mask usage in all office common areas, and increased sanitization schedules.
- Calgary, AB (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19