Working at CBC:
At the CBC, we all have a story to tell. What’s yours?
If you share our passion for Canadian storytelling and you wish to help us engage with individuals and communities across our various digital platforms, this is where you’ll want to be!
Every day, you will have an opportunity to shape the way in which Canadians see themselves reflected in our digital services. Your work will have a direct impact on how millions of Canadians from various communities connect with our products, with one another, and with the diverse voices that make our country so unique.
You will have the opportunity to play a part in enlightening and entertaining Canadians through our innovative work in building the mediums that deliver our content. We are an innovative hub, where the talented professionals we work with are respected and valued for their contributions. Our product teams are vibrant and our work culture strives to achieve the highest standards of diversity and inclusion. We believe that hiring people with different career paths and backgrounds is fundamental in our shared success and in building healthy and highly performant teams. When you join our mission, you are not only shaping the vision of the CBC, but the future of our country.
Why is this role important?
If you want to enter the world of digital media and be part of the change and growth of one of Canada’s long-established and respected broadcasters, this is your chance. CBC Digital Strategy & Products is looking for a Developer to work with the Advertising Integration team.
This is an opportunity for a Fullstack Developer who wants to be part of an Agile team that tackles the challenges presented by the diverse and expansive nature of our audience; and, expand their skills across the full SDLC. This is a chance to join our Advertising Integration team to create easily discoverable, engaging, and accessible online ad product experiences across our digital offerings and on large scale events. Informed by our mission, our product strategy and our commitment is to be highly accountable to our audience.
This is a unique chance for a Fullstack Developer, who wants to be part of building an engaging experience for over 18 million Canadians, growing the way they think about their software design; and learning from purposeful failure in a lean, Agile environment.
We welcome strong collaborators, people who feel they can contribute in creative ways. If you're passionate about Canada, especially our diversity, and you love technology, learning and bringing out the best in others, you’ll love working in the Advertising Integration team at the CBC.
Here’s why we should work together:
Our digital teams’ values - collaboration, learning, inclusion, and continuous improvement - embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas and supporting their pursuit of new skills and their desired career progression.
Here at CBC Digital Strategy & Products, we want you to be happy and feel good at work. It is essential that work be a safe space where our employees are able to share their authentic selves with one another and to push each other to challenge conventions.
Perks you can look forward to:
- Flexible work schedules, allowing you to prioritize yourself, your family and your work;
- Work from home opportunities;
- Competitive total rewards package;
- 20% of time for innovation, learning and development; wherever your interests lie;
- Opportunities to work with cutting edge technology;
- Opportunities for continued learning and professional development;
- Opportunities to become a member of our Employee Resource Groups;
- Pair programming and mentorship opportunities, where you can learn from the best in the industry and help coach new talent;
- A creative and dynamic work environment, where your ideas and contributions can be heard, valued and respected;
- A supportive management team committed to upholding the highest standards of diversity and inclusivity;
- An environment which favours experimentation and an iterative approach in order to achieve the highest form of technical innovation.
How you will make an impact as our new Full Stack Developer, Advertising Integration, cbc.ca:
You are an experienced developer looking to apply and build upon your skills in:
- Developing for high traffic websites or other digital products with an interest in expanding your skills into ad technology and channeling your front end skills to apply a UI/UX approach to ad presentation
- Understanding the importance of accessibility and knowing what it takes to meet the needs and inclusivity of all users
- Having an opportunity to join a company with a mission, value set, and tech-forward approach that aligns with your own; a place where knowledge-sharing guides your learning
- Wanting to be part of a fun team, engaged in a continuous learning culture, where you can take on new challenges and be a significant contributor to engaging our pan Canadian audience
What you bring to our team:
- The education. A Computer Science, Engineering, Math degree or equivalent is preferred, but we know not everyone gains their programming skills this way. You have the knowledge and understanding of software development and testing best - and latest - practices
- The hands-on expertise. You have hands-on professional experience developing large complex web-based applications. You have:
- Understanding and experience working with REST APIs
- An understanding of how applications exchange and process JSON and XML
- Experience writing code accompanied by unit tests sufficient to ensure code coverage
- Exposure to the Atlassian suite, Kanban or Scrum workflows is an asset
- The desire to learn. You can quickly learn new technologies and respond to change by learning and adapting. You are enthusiastic about the opportunity to link ad operations and technology together.
- The communication skills. You know how to listen and relay empathy and understanding for diverse perspectives. Your powers of observation help you understand your audience and communicate with the right level of detail.
- The collaborative Agile experience. You thrive in a team-focused environment. You believe in the Agile methodology deeply, but you are flexible and open to the real world twists and turns. You are comfortable with iterative and incremental development.
- You’ve worked with advertising technology before or have experience with Google Ad Manager or other advertising technologies
- You have experience in understanding Core Web Vitals or Lighthouse audit reports
At the CBC, we recognize that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. We value diversity of thought and of experience, and we are excited to hear from you! Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning, and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet most of the qualifications and you are excited by the possibility of adding to the rich culture of the CBC, take a chance and express your interest by applying now!
If you’re interested in reading more about the various backgrounds of the talented people that make up our teams, our exciting new projects, and what we’re currently working on, check out our Digital Labs blog on Medium!
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.