Hi, my name is Jane Chae, the Head of Engineering at Versett. We are looking for a Technical Lead to join our growing team. As a member of a small team, the right person is someone who isn’t afraid to dig into hard problems in a variety of spaces. You might be working on building a new digital-first insurance business in the Caribbean market one day, and thinking through how to improve the rollout of 5G in Canada the next.
You’ll be joining us at an exciting time as we plot the future growth of the team. We touch on most projects at Versett, work closely with the New Business team, and put out thoughtful research and resources to grow the Versett name.
Versett is the ‘team behind the team’ of successful apps, software and platforms around the world with clients like American Express, TD Bank, and Getty Images. Each month, millions of people use the platforms, apps, and tools we have built.
At Versett, we have a mission to be the preferred partners of ambitious organizations looking to grow in the modern technology-driven economy. We accomplish this by partnering client teams with our dedicated product teams to produce world class solutions. Each client initiative we take on expects that we move the needle in a meaningful way, which requires each team member to act primarily as a consultant rather than an order taker. Our development group plays a critical role in the definition and delivery of our partner engagements. We rely on our Solutions Architects to determine how to build, and more importantly when to build versus finding solutions that require no code.
As the Technical Lead, you will be leading a team to design and build innovative, leading edge solutions to solve complex business problems. You will also help elevate the engineering on the team, through mentorship and setting the bar for what quality software looks like. Delivering quality code across our technical stack, you will work cross functionally with Product Design led by Andrew Succi and Strategy led by Steven Ritchie to build scalable and reliable solutions positively impacting our client’s businesses. Our team is tight-knit and built on the philosophy of "learn better, faster". Versett was founded on a shared vision of a place where we can create meaningful work collaboratively, while continuing to grow and learn as individuals.
Versett works globally and we are looking to build our team in Calgary, AB and Toronto, ON.
- Ensuring project delivery is on time, within budget, and with client satisfaction.
- Planning for balanced workloads for themselves and their team.
- Delivering well-constructed roadmaps that prioritize work in ways that optimize delivery and decrease overall project risk.
- Ensuring technical alignment between the entire team including, goals, technology, and responsibilities for the project.
- Delivering recommendations in proposals to other leads and department heads to get consensus and drive the entire team forward.
- Collaborating with the Delivery Manager to ensure project deliverables are met Creating a project plan, detailed task lists with your team members outlining their desired responsibilities and opportunities.
- Ensuring accurate project and task estimates Delivering functional and technical design documentation
- Mentoring, cross training and providing technical guidance for team members
- Investigating difficult technical issues and providing sound recommendations
- Identifying and raising any delivery concerns and risks
- Maintaining strong cross-disciplinary collaboration across departments.
- Identifying and documenting new approaches for project process and delivery.
- Monitoring the current project level process: how can it be improved, what is working versus not working?
- Testing new ideas on projects that you manage and be ready to discard or embrace them as they are validated or not.
- Identifying opportunities for better collaboration between disciplines at the project level.
- Documenting decisions around team member ownership opportunities and outcomes.
- Providing 360 feedback from team members correlating project opportunities to advancement.
- Looking for opportunities for improving the transition from business development to project team.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- You are an expert in software design architecture and development.
- You have experience coaching and guiding a Software Engineering team.
- You are an expert in modern UI Technologies stack: React JS, Typescript, CSS, HTML, Node JS
- You are an expert in Cloud Technologies capabilities creating and managing Cloud hosting providers like AWS and Azure
- You are an expert in Backend design and development technologies like Postgres, MongoDB, or MySQL
- You are a solutions-oriented person and have owned and built solutions from inception through to launch.
- You can provide technical direction through implementing extensive design and architecture concepts.
- You have a strong understanding of Agile methodologies and project structures.
- You have client-facing experience.
- You have designed database solutions and have experience tuning a database for scalability and performance.
- You have designed generic solutions using common frameworks and toolkits.
- You are tool-flexible enough to work with whatever we choose next, and have the confidence to make those recommendations.
- You are able to deliver high-quality code, meeting our code standards with the aim of exceeding them.
- You can identify and implement design patterns and industry development best practices.
BONUS IF YOU HAVE:
- You have Data Analytics and Mobile web architecture experience
- You have experience working with Java or .Net, and iOS, Swift, Objective C
- You have experience implementing DevOps
- You have MicroServices Design and development experience
THE BEHAVIOURS WE VALUE AT VERSETT:
- You’re naturally curious, self-motivated, and always looking to learn more.
- You are supportive of others and enjoy sharing knowledge.
- You have a collaborative mindset and have empathy for your users, clients, project team and co-workers
Interviewing at Versett:
1. Phone screen with Jade, Talent Advisor from Bloom.
2. Remote 1 hour interview with Jane Chae, Head of Engineering and Kwan Tan
3. Technical Challenge Test-Remote
4. Remote1.5 -hour peer interview with a Panel of Solution Architects and Technical Leads
5. Remote 30-min interview Doug, Taylor and Vinciane de Pape, Head of Learning + Culture
6. Conduct references
Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, to mitigate the risk of the potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing, all recruiting activities including interviews and new hire on-boarding will be conducted virtually.
Perks at Versett
Inclusive benefits (including group benefits and paid parental leave).
Friday socials and Show 'n Tells.
Team events and retreats.
Learning & development budget.
The hardware/software setup you need.
"Take the time you need" vacation policy.
Diverse team and a commitment to inclusion.
Inclusion at Versett
Like Bloom, Versett is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out!
At Bloom we do not use fancy tech to search through resumes. Every resume is reviewed by a human and that process takes time. To ensure that we attain a consistent and equitable interview process we take a high level of care with every application. Our process may be a bit longer than others because we take an inclusive and intentional approach to review every application we receive.