Please include a cover letter with your resume (in one file) describing how you would be a great fit at Photonic and what attributes you could bring to our growing team.
Hardware Engineers at Photonic are part of the Hardware Systems team. You will work closely with high-performing teams of engineers and scientists with expertise spanning device physics to classical computer architecture and software. Together, we will develop, prototype, and implement key solutions for our silicon-based quantum computer architecture.
You enjoy the thrill of learning innovative technology and new science, while bringing your significant expertise, open mind, and creativity to tackle key challenges as we build the world’s first truly scalable quantum computing system. You will contribute your knowledge and experience to developing a scalable solution for the electrical signals required to drive a quantum computing system.
WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO
- Design and develop IO/Connection multiplexing and interface optimization solutions
- Bring electrical designs from concept through to modelling, layout, and verification
- Leverage your experience in PCB design and layout process to design and manufacture high-quality electrical systems
- Model and simulate analog, RF and mixed signal IO, PCBs, or components using electronic and electromagnetic design software
- Test and characterize components used in our quantum computing system
- Design modifications to existing components and prototypes to increase performance, efficiency, and manufacturability
- Provide high quality documentation of procedures, design, and test results. Effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Contribute to the intellectual property portfolio at Photonic
- Train, guide, and develop the capabilities of current and additional team members
WHAT YOU BRING TO OUR TEAM
- Undergraduate degree in electrical engineering, mechatronics, physics or engineering physics with 5+ years industry experience, or Masters/Ph.D. degree with comparable combination of education and experience
- Experience in PCB design and layout packages such as Altium, Cadence or Mentor Graphics
- Excellent communication skills and ability to express complex technical concepts in a clear and easy to understand way
- Demonstrated ability to creatively solve problems, ability to resolve ambiguous requirements, prioritize, and manage simultaneous tasks
- Outstanding teamwork skills
An exceptional candidate will bring:
- Experience with electrical measurements at cryogenic temperatures and/or cryogenic electronics
- Experience with advanced simulation tools (HFSS, COMSOL or similar)
Photonic is designing the world’s first quantum processor in silicon. It would be advantageous if you had some familiarity with quantum physics, mathematics, and programming, but we will ensure that team members will have the opportunity to learn about quantum computing as we grow.
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH US
- Get involved with a quantum startup company set to redefine computing
- Work closely with some of the brightest innovators in quantum technologies
- Enjoy a fast-paced and fun environment where you can try new things while solving innovative challenges every day
- Inclusive company culture
- Competitive salary, benefits (including life insurance, extended health, dental, long term disability, and a flexible spending account), and potential upside
The base annual salary range for this full-time role is between $91,000 to $125,000. This range reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all Canadian locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The description above is what we think an ideal candidate would look like for this role. At Photonic, we understand that everyone has a different work and life journey. If you feel your experience is close to what we've described, but you might not meet all the requirements, please still apply! We are also committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences, knowing that these very differences inspire innovation and build better teams. If there are any accommodations our team can make throughout our hiring process, please let us know.