Head of Design
ArchitechToronto, Remote17 days ago
Architech is a Toronto-based software company with over 15 years of experience in creating technology solutions for clients across North America. We leverage the latest cloud technology and hire top talent to modernize applications so that businesses can succeed in today’s digital world.
Our Dream Team is based in Vancouver, Toronto, and Krakow, Poland. The team consists of over 100 certified technical experts in our Product, Design, Engineering, and Delivery disciplines. Our values drive our culture of success: Think Big, Be Open & Collaborate, Never Fail a Client, Grow Our People, Do the Right Thing, and Embrace Change.
It’s all about the environment
Satisfy your curiosity and desire to learn. You’ll work very closely with a diverse tight-knit group of creative people who are passionate about technology and software. Not only will you work in a collaborative and nurturing environment, you’ll also grow your existing skills while keeping up with current and upcoming IT industry trends.
We grow when you grow
We encourage and support continuous learning by ensuring everyone stays active in the tech community. To help you with this, we offer tools and programs such as Learning Budget, Certification Bonuses, Internal Bootcamps, Summit Days, Lunch & Learns and much more. And this is just the beginning. Check out all our other great benefits.
Welcome to Architech.
We are searching for a Head of Design to lead our design practice, drive our design services, collaborate with leadership to achieve our company strategic goals. Our clients value the customer insights we can offer them, and design shapes the outcomes we deliver for clients. If you are highly motivated, this is the chance to make your own legacy and be part of something truly transformative!
A strategist who is data-driven and customer-obsessed, this leader will have a unique opportunity to define, build and execute the future direction of design at Architech. The ideal candidate will have a growth mindset, strong design fundamentals, have been a practitioner themselves, and grown in their roles with increased levels of responsibility and Design Leadership. They are experienced in applying design methodology in developing Enterprise Software / SaaS products in a variety of industries and have now transitioned to a coach for their design experts. Naturally you are curious, inquisitive, and insightful.
You will have full ownership and accountability to demonstrate your Design Leadership for this practice area. If you enjoy coaching your people, you will succeed in providing Team Leadership to a small, but high-performing group of billable UX/UI designers and UX researcher reporting to it.
You will partner closely with our Head of Product to drive our transformation into a product-solutions based company. Further you will be supported by our Sales team, who will find opportunities and projects in the market for our services. With your team, you will support the Sales team and re-think our approach to design conversations with customers to create a win-win situation.
The position reports to our CTO. You will have an opportunity to closely collaborate with and influence leadership in achieving our company strategic goals.
- Passionate people developer who attracts, coaches, and sponsors rising talent and create opportunities for our next generation designers to grow their skills and flourish
- Develop leadership capabilities of our Practice Area, not only for client-facing but also internal business purposes.
- Guide, mentor and coach the Practice Area to develop and enhance skills – including, but not limited to people management, interviewing and hiring skills, soft-skills improvement, and manage day-to-day project-related issues. Enhance the maturity of designers including creating growth development plans with each individual designer and user experience specialist.
- Provide design specific onboarding support to new hires and ensure resources are readily available
- Define and execute upon the strategy for the design practice at Architech. This includes addressing our approach to usability, accessibility, and ethical design.
- Re-imagine our conversation on the value of design with clients, and internally across the company
- Partner with the Head of Product and Head of Engineering to drive the expansion of our offering portfolio and company strategic initiatives.
- Provide leadership and oversight in the creation of intellectual property through design artifacts, including Design Systems and Design Kits that accelerate product innovation
- Support team members to lead Design Thinking workshops with both business stakeholders and users to gain alignment and uncover insights for product design strategy
- Lead DesignOps to improve the structure that supports the UX design team and better define, document, socialize, and maintain design related workflows, and ensure consistency in the design process and its execution across the organization
- Advocate on behalf of the UX team to educate stakeholders on the value of design and design activities
- Support our sales teams during the pre-sales process to identify and understand client needs, and propose solutions
- Provide design expertise and critiques of designers’ work in overall solutions, information architecture, wireframing, user interaction, design layout, and aesthetics
- Provide oversight on all design documentation and deliverables, and enhance accuracy of design project estimation
- Build, maintain, improve and scale a world-class and innovative design centre of excellence (CoE) with accountability for user experience and user interface (UX/UI), user research (UXR), interaction design, information architecture and content strategy.
- Drive adoption of standards and processes, application of best practices and design patterns, maintain relevant and quality design resources and information, and governance
- Maintain the importance of UX design and research in our work, and build cross-functional relationships to gain support of our entire team, to achieve excellent results for our clients
- Be active in the design community to create a presence and learn from trends and best practices
- Create and maintain a roadmap for the future of design in achieving our business goals; and use this roadmap to gain support and influence with clients and the business
- Lead evaluation and recommendation of methodologies, service offerings, tools and partnership choices
- Define and monitor operating metrics and perform regular maturity assessments, and ensure that design governance is an effective, consistent, and transparent process
- Report on Design activities, progress, and performance on a regular basis to Leadership
- Contribute to overall business strategy and annual budget process
- Have a learn-it-all, rather than a know-it-all, growth mindset.
- Focused on the problem, not in love with the solution.
- Seasoned in active listening to your team members, users and customers.
- Experienced leader in driving maturity of a design practice, including design thinking and user experience design expertise in creating modern experiences and enterprise software
- Demonstrated ability to stay current on design advancements
- Experience in squad based agile structures and partnering with product, engineering, and delivery teams
- Expertise within a professional services organization with technical project leadership for client-focused implementation projects
- Experience with enabling new technologies and tools into design teams
- Proven collaborator able to take complex design concepts and translate them to understandable and actionable plans in partnership with non-technical teams or clients
- Resilience and ability to thrive in ambiguity as we inspire transition to next-generation capabilities
- Collaborative team players with superior influencing skills, who build relationships easily across various stakeholder groups to move initiatives forward in the interest of the enterprise
- 10+ years in various Design roles
- 5+ years in People & Design Leadership roles