The University of Manitoba is a driving force of innovation, discovery and advancement. Our momentum is propelled by our campus community – UM faculty, staff and students whose determination and curiosity shape our world for the better. Our teaching, learning and work environment is uniquely strengthened and enriched by Indigenous perspectives. With two main campuses in Winnipeg, satellite campuses throughout Manitoba, and world-wide research, UM’s impact is global.
Discover outstanding employee benefits, experience world-class facilities and join a dynamic community that values reconciliation, sustainability, diversity, and inclusion. We are one of Manitoba’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. At the University of Manitoba, what inspires you can change everything.
Under the general supervision of the Manager, Application Development, the incumbent develops tests, implements and documents moderate computer programs and subsystems from specifications provided by senior Technology Services staff. The incumbent may develop his or her own specifications for programs of a less complex nature. The incumbent is also required to diagnose the cause of errors in program logic and make the necessary corrections. The incumbent is also required to provide assistance to Technology Services clients and staff when necessary
The qualifications and experience we’re looking for:
- Bachelor's degree or a Community College Diploma in a directly related discipline is required.
- Must have a minimum of one year of experience in developing software.
- Must have software development experience with common web development technologies HTML, CSS, XML, JSON, HTTP, SQL, and other related technologies.
- Must have knowledge of test-driven development, creating/executing test script and test plans.
- Familiarity with automated testing software is an asset.
- Familiarity with creating and maintaining web services is an asset.
- Familiarity with Object Oriented methodologies is an asset.
- Familiarity with cloud computing such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform or Microsoft Azure is an asset.
- Familiarity with Agile, DevOps and the importance of software development standards is an asset.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must have demonstrated good analytical, collaboration, problem solving, interpersonal, presentation, listening, and oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work effectively in a complex environment, on issues, which cross unit, departmental, and faculty lines, and be adaptable to change.
- Proven technical aptitude with ability to learn new systems quickly is required.
- Involvement with local IT user communities is an asset.
- Knowledge of Java libraries Groovy and Grails is an asset.
- Knowledge of ITIL fundamentals is an asset.
- Must be available to work occasional overtime as required.
- Satisfactory work record, including satisfactory attendance and punctuality, is required.
Why the University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
- Comprehensive group benefits and pension plan.
- Competitive vacation time.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Apply today through the University of Manitoba’s recruitment site, UM Careers: https://viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=20928
Closing Date: June 6, 2022
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
The University of Manitoba is committed to the principles of equity, diversity & inclusion and to promoting opportunities in hiring, promotion and tenure (where applicable) for systemically marginalized groups who have been excluded from full participation at the University and the larger community including Indigenous Peoples, women, racialized persons, persons with disabilities and those who identify as 2SLGBTQIA+ (Two Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, questioning, intersex, asexual and other diverse sexual identities).
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact UM.Accommodation@umanitoba.ca or 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.