Who We Are & Where We Are Going
Semaphore is the leading global provider of software solutions for high-throughput and high-complexity molecular diagnostic laboratories. Our clients are pushing the limits of genetic sequencing and other molecular diagnostic technologies to fight cancer, increase diagnostic accuracy, and improve health outcomes for the general population. We are extremely proud of our contribution to the Covid-19 pandemic response, which enabled our clients to increase critical high-volume testing capacity in their geographical areas.
Semaphore’s culture is about putting people first. We strive to create an environment where individuals feel a connection to our mission, each other, and the community. We provide our staff with genuine support for their well-being and enable their best work through autonomy, flexibility, and continuous learning.
In addition to our expanding business providing expert software services, Semaphore has embarked on an exciting new phase. Our team is building Labbit, the intelligent Laboratory System of the future. Our platform provides key infrastructure to clinical genomic laboratories that will enable them to realize the full potential of genomic science. This innovative product will help advance diagnostics and therapies, resulting in improved global health outcomes. We are looking to grow our team with people fascinated by the intersection of software and life sciences and want to be part of a purpose-driven team impacting how science informs human health.
About the Opportunity
As an Infrastructure Developer, you will join our Product Operations team in supporting Semaphore’s Cloud Infrastructure, enabling the success of our Product, Labbit. Reporting to the Manager of Cloud Infrastructure, you will work with a close-knit team to develop, implement, maintain and optimize cloud solutions. Your responsibilities will be a combination of structured projects and tasks and operational troubleshooting as required. You will also be encouraged to review existing systems, recommending and actioning proposals for improvement. As you grow into the role, developers across the platform team may lean on your guidance and ability to effectively convey the complexities of the product’s infrastructure.
This role presents a unique opportunity for a purpose-driven individual to apply skills and experience in infrastructure development to a product that is helping to further advances in the health sciences domain. As this is a growing product, a challenge that could arise will be working with tight timelines and adapting to evolving priorities. However, you will have the support of an experienced team as you ramp up and start to contribute to product milestones.
To succeed in this role, you will need to be able to identify optimal solutions for customers and maintain cloud infrastructure following best practices and company security policies. Excellent troubleshooting skills, staying current with industry trends and working collaboratively with stakeholders will also be key requirements for team success. We work in a complex domain with an evolving platform, so a willingness to seek guidance when stuck will be critical to your growth.
- Degree in computer science or a related field
- Four + years of experience in the field of cloud infrastructure or developer operations
- Ability to participate in on-call rotations
- Working knowledge of CI/CD systems.
- Exposure to and active participation in AWS Infrastructure and Security best practices
- Experience with HashiCorp products, such as Nomad, Consul, Vault, Terraform
- Working knowledge of Database management
- Experience with System Operations
- A proven ability to troubleshoot and find solutions
- Strong verbal and written communication skills that enable effective collaboration
- Ability to engage directly with customers to learn about their requirements, to suggest, drive and implement solutions into the Infrastructure
Nice to Haves
- Certifications in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud
- Experience working in a growing product company
What to Expect, Within One Month
- You’ll experience a company stand-up and enjoy (a virtual) lunch with the team.
- You’ll become familiar with our collaboration tools (Slack, Github, Jira, GSuite, and Confluence) and engage with our culture and channels.
- Completed the onboarding tasks, such as setting up tooling, and gained exposure to team process, project planning, ticket system and backlog management.
- Completed an arch deep dive
- Actively participated on PRs, Design and arch reviews
- Gained exposure to simple stories from the backlog and completed some with the support of your team.
Within Three Months
- Completing stories from the backlog independently, seeking support as needed.
- Collaborated with your team to understand the product roadmap and how the infrastructure supports milestones.
- Gained exposure to team processes and workflows and contributed to task completion.
- Started to participate and shadow on-call responsibilities.
- Contributed to operational and ad-hoc troubleshooting that has arisen.
Within Six Months
- Taken the lead on at least one significant project on the team.
- Applied your skills and knowledge to identify, analyze, and resolve infrastructure improvements and application deployment issues.
- Collaborated with development teams to support optimal solutions for the platform.