iOS Developer, CBC News & Sports
CBC / Radio-CanadaToronto, ON6 days ago
Working at CBC:
At the CBC, we all have a story to tell. What’s yours?
If you share our passion for Canadian storytelling and you wish to help us engage with individuals and communities across our various digital platforms, this is where you’ll want to be!
Every day, you will have an opportunity to shape the way in which Canadians see themselves reflected in our digital services. Your work will have a direct impact on how millions of Canadians from various communities connect with our products, with one another, and with the diverse voices that make our country so unique.
You will have the opportunity to play a part in enlightening and entertaining Canadians through our innovative work in building the mediums that deliver our content. We are an innovative hub, where the talented professionals we work with are respected and valued for their contributions. Our product teams are vibrant and our work culture strives to achieve the highest standards of diversity and inclusion. We believe that hiring people with different career paths and backgrounds is fundamental in our shared success and in building healthy and highly performant teams. When you join our mission, you are not only shaping the vision of the CBC, but the future of our country.
Why is this role important?
CBC News and CBC Sports apps are used and loved by millions of loyal Canadians across the country. Our Apps & Conversational Interfaces team is seeking a new iOS Developer to support the continued success and evolution of these and other CBC apps. We need someone committed to ensuring our Canadian audience has the best media experience possible. This is a level of exposure and impact that few other roles provide.
As part of the Agile team you will push the boundaries of iOS development, leverage Voice / Conversational AI products such as Alexa and Google Assistant, and stay abreast of the latest tools and technologies to enhance the end user experience.
This is currently a remote role with the requirement to be in-office once the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions are lifted, and it is deemed safe for our team to be together.
Here’s why we should work together:
Our digital teams’ values - collaboration, learning, and continuous improvement - embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas and supporting their pursuit of new skills and their desired career progression.
Here at CBC Digital Strategy & Products, we want you to be happy and feel good at work. It is essential that work be a safe space where our employees are able to share their authentic selves with one another and to push each other to challenge conventions.
Perks you can look forward to:
- Flexible work schedules, allowing you to prioritize yourself, your family and your work;
- Work from home opportunities;
- Competitive total rewards package;
- 20% of time for innovation, learning and development; wherever your interests lie;
- Opportunities to work with cutting edge technology;
- Opportunities for continued learning and professional development;
- Opportunities to become a member of our Employee Resource Groups;
- Pair programming and mentorship opportunities, where you can learn from the best in the industry and help coach new talent;
- A creative and dynamic work environment, where your ideas and contributions can be heard, valued and respected;
- A supportive management team committed to upholding the highest standards of diversity and inclusivity;
- An environment which favours experimentation and an iterative approach in order to achieve the highest form of technical innovation.
How you will make an impact:
- You will create end-to-end user-facing products with an emphasis on discoverability, accessibility and engagement.
- You will use Swift, Objective C and RESTful APIs to build apps and new features for a Canadian audience of millions.
- You will work on the full development cycle, including storyboards, modern and intuitive UI/UX, write unit tests and work on group testing to ensure we release quality work.
- You will create reactive layouts that accommodate different displays.
What you could bring to our team:
- The education. A Computer Science, Engineering, Math degree, or equivalent is preferred, but we know not everyone gains their programming skills this way.
- The experience. You have 2+ years of experience building software or apps that consume RESTful APIs. You use reliable code and can build release branches. You have experience with build processes and an understanding of continuous integration, version control, source control systems and the full mobile development life cycle. You are comfortable with iterative and incremental development and working in Agile.
- The hands-on expertise. You develop in Swift and have some exposure to Objective-C. You have strong knowledge of UIKit, Auto Layout and building interfaces programmatically and with storyboards. You are familiar with Apple Frameworks, have an understanding of MVC and MVVM design patterns, and use CocoaPods to manage dependencies. You know what CI/CD stands for and have used FastLane to improve your release process.
- The collaborative approach. You understand the concepts of collective responsibility and ownership and practice active listening and empathetic engagement across diverse perspectives. You are driven to stay at the cutting edge of technology, continuously learning and growing. You have outstanding communication skills. You respond to change by adapting.
- The knowledge. You can explain why you made certain choices and how you would improve the functionality using newer technology. You have a quality mindset and dedication to delivering high-quality products. You understand modern approaches to testing, unit testing, manual test case execution (including the unique challenges in native mobile environments) - and when to best deploy them.
- The bonus skills. You have:
- Experience writing test cases with XCTest.
- An understanding of Android and web technologies.
- Exposure to digital Content Management Systems.
- Experience in the Conversational space.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
At the CBC, we recognize that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. We value diversity of thought and of experience, and we are excited to hear from you! Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning, and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet most of the qualifications and you are excited by the possibility of adding to the rich culture of the CBC, take a chance and express your interest by applying now!
If you’re interested in reading more about the various backgrounds of the talented people that make up our teams, our exciting new projects, and what we’re currently working on, check out our Digital Labs blog on Medium!
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.