Please include a cover letter with your resume (in one file) describing how you would be a great fit at Photonic and what attributes you could bring to our growing team.
The Lab Technician is responsible for the successful daily operation of Photonic’s quantum hardware laboratory. The Lab technician conducts tests and measurements using cryogenic and opto-mechanical systems, maintains all lab equipment, implements safety standards, and ensures all other staff are trained in the safe use of equipment.
WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO
- Set up, test, and perform measurements in a wide variety of opto-mechanical and cryogenic systems using optical and electronic test equipment (e.g. lasers, photodetectors, microscopes, oscilloscopes, digital multi-meters, data loggers etc.)
- Summarize and report on measurements that will provide feedback on devices designed and fabricated by our integrated photonics team
- Work with and maintain machine shop equipment (e.g. drill press, lathe, milling machine, and waterjet)
- Operate and maintain specialized high vacuum, high-pressure, and ultra low temperature equipment (e.g. scroll pumps, turbo pumps, Roots pumps, and pulse tube refrigeration systems)
- Install, operate, and troubleshoot hardware and software systems
- Prepare technical documentation describing the operation, configuration, and maintenance of specific experimental equipment and systems used in the research laboratories
- Train other employees in the operation of equipment and safety standards for experiments
WHAT YOU BRING TO OUR TEAM
- Bachelor's degree in Physics or Engineering with courses or formal training in electronics/electrical technology, cryogenics, computing systems and programming, mechanical systems, optical systems, chemical handling and the use of machine tools and related equipment
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Thorough knowledge of preventative maintenance techniques for electrical, electronic, optical, and mechanical systems
- Mathematic skills including basic trigonometry and the ability to perform basic calculations relevant to vacuum systems and AC and DC electrical circuits
- Knowledge of the design and repair of gas handling and high vacuum systems, as well as the safety, storage, and handling of liquefied gases
- Experience with laser operation and safety protocols for a range of lasers including near-infrared free-space, and fibre-coupled.
- Experience with WorkSafeBC and WHMIS safety guidelines, as well as chemical safety protocols including chemical storage, possible chemical reactions, and chemical disposal procedures
- Ability to use data acquisition and computer aided design software (e.g. MATLAB, LabVIEW, SolidWorks, Fusion360, COMSOL) at an intermediate level
- Ability to work independently and meet critical deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to lift, move, or carry heavy equipment weighing up to 30 kg
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH US
- Get involved with a quantum startup company set to redefine computing
- Work closely with some of the brightest innovators in quantum technologies
- Enjoy a fast-paced and fun environment where you can try new things while solving innovative challenges every day
- Inclusive company culture
- Competitive salary, benefits (including life insurance, extended health, dental, long term disability, and a flexible spending account), and potential upside
The base annual salary range for this full-time role is between $80,000 to $119,000. This range reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all Canadian locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The description above is what we think an ideal candidate would look like for this role. At Photonic, we understand that everyone has a different work and life journey. If you feel your experience is close to what we've described, but you might not meet all the requirements, please still apply! We are also committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences, knowing that these very differences inspire innovation and build better teams. If there are any accommodations our team can make throughout our hiring process, please let us know.