Who we are:
Have you ever engaged an accountant or financial advisor and felt a little unsure in what you were purchasing? Practice Ignition is the world’s first client engagement and commerce platform for professional services businesses, with a key focus on financial services. We are on a mission to transform the way people do business together, sparking long-lasting relationships by putting businesses and their clients on the same page from the start. More clarity and less ambiguity for both sides. Win-win.
We are a high-growth, global SaaS organization with employees in Australia, US, Canada, UK, South Africa, New Zealand and the Philippines.
About the role:
We are building our first R&D team based in our AMER region at Practice Ignition and are looking for a strong leader who is passionate about establishing & growing this team. You will play a key role in recruiting & hiring of frontend & backend developers.
We’re looking for smart, talented and experienced team members that can take ownership, articulate their point of view and back their opinions with a well researched and knowledgeable stance. This role is for someone who continually thinks about the big picture, is comfortable with the complexity of modern web application development and enjoys the challenge of working in a fast-paced, iterative and incremental environment.
The purpose of this role is to boost the capacity and capabilities of Practice Ignition’s Engineering Team by helping to build and lead a team of Product Engineers in delivering customer value through the development of high quality software.
At Practice Ignition, it's up to you to decide whether you want to work fully remote, in-office or a mixture of both. We will have an office space (coming in 2022) near Union station in Toronto for those choosing to work in an office environment.
What your day to day will look like:
- Manage a team of Frontend and Backend Developers in building new and improving existing functionality
- Collaborate with Product Managers to build a shared understanding of product problems and scope feasibility, practicality and complexity of proposed solutions and that they align with Platform Architecture
- Optimize allocation of resources and balance technical compromises to effectively deliver software within agreed-upon time frames while maintaining overall quality and adhering to development conventions
- Facilitate rituals such as Stand-ups, Sprint Planning and Retrospectives to ensure the smooth operation and continual improvement of the team and the way they work together
- Ensure processes such as Pull Requests, Code Reviews and Pair Programming are followed and foster a culture of knowledge sharing and collaboration within the team
- Coordinate with the Platform Engineering Team so they can make architectural decisions, design abstractions and build frameworks with the goal of simplifying development and allowing the team to continue to scale
- Own hiring pipeline for Frontend and Backend Developers in Toronto including interview process, onboarding and probation period for new team members
How we do it:
- Building high quality, clean, efficient, and reusable code for future use
- Collaborating with internal teams including other developers, product leads and client-facing employees
- Communicating design ideas and approaches to enhancing the platform
- Ensuring user experience determines design choices
- Collaborating with vendors to fix and improve products
- Developing tools and applications by producing clean and efficient code
- Contributing to and developing high-quality software design and architecture
- Striking a balance between functional and aesthetic design
- Developing front-end functionality and assisting the head developer
- Maintaining brand consistency throughout design
- Postgres, Redis, Heroku, Sidekiq
- Testing is done with RSpec, and Cypress with Chrome Headless
- CI/CD using Buildkite
How we work:
- Distributed team
- Continuous Delivery
- Code Reviews
Who you are:
- Curious to develop knowledge of a variety of programming languages and frameworks.
- Someone who can engage in robust and articulate dialogue while maintaining an open mind.
- There’s an unshakeable desire to write testable and well tested code.
- A skilful and dependable person who recognises that there is always more to learn.
- A sense of humour, and the ability to focus yet still have a laugh in high pressure situations.
- A pragmatic, objective thinker who can weigh up options based on requirements, best fit and maturity of technology.
What you need to succeed:
- 10+ years of experience working on web application development
- Good tenure (2-3 yrs) leading a team in a single company or project
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Good problem solving skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with our stack will be looked on favourably
Why join us:
- Founder led, global SaaS organization, in hyper growth mode and scaling fast
- We work without ego in a collaborative, open and transparent work culture
- Competitive salary and employee stock options from day 1
- 20 days accrued annual leave/vacation, along with 10 days of wellbeing days to take care of yourself and/or loved ones
- Health/Dental/Vision benefits from day 1
- Annual education allowance to support your professional growth
- Curious and smart coworkers who won’t back down from a challenge
- Employee recognition program
- Quarterly wellness allowance to spend on your wellness and what this means to you
- Paid subscription to Headspace
- Home office reimbursement
- Personal tax return assistance - after all, we are in the accounting business!
- Paid parental leave
- An extra paid day off to celebrate your birthday, alongside volunteering leave
- Monthly virtual social events
We are better everyday
We work without ego
We are smarter together
We hero our customer