Lead Software Developer
Build a meaningful career
At LifeWorks, we offer more than career opportunities; we provide career opportunities to make meaningful contributions to people's lives. The extraordinary expertise of a more than 7,000-strong workforce is harnessed to support the employees and families of the organizations we serve. Our innovative programs have a lasting impact on the health, financial security and productivity of 24,000 workplaces.
LifeWorks is on a mission to respond to the emerging trends impacting mental health and total wellbeing. Mobile devices, remote offices, the immediate and long-lasting effects of the global pandemic, and the need for employees and employers to find rewarding ways to commit to each other are drivers for our next evolution.
Everyone who joins LifeWorks benefits from the professional reward of working in a more agile human-centric framework and the personal reward of knowing the architecture you build, code you write, the product you release, and the service you provide is supporting the mental, physical, social and financial wellbeing of clients and millions of their employees around the world. We empower our people to make a difference and play a direct role in nurturing and growing our mental health-focused portfolio of globally consistent and locally relevant omnichannel solutions.
There are exciting times ahead, and we're looking for team members who share our enthusiasm, our drive, and our passion for improving business and improving lives.
At LifeWorks, we are always moving forward. Move with us.
Who we need
As part of our mission to impact 1 billion lives, we're looking for a passionate solution architect and hands-on technical leader to help define and drive our strategic technology roadmap in the role of a Lead Software Developer.
Reporting to the VP of Product Engineering, as our next Lead Software Developer you will be part of a cross-functional team of technical leaders, making strategic decisions to build a new best-in-class mental healthcare product. You will work on enterprise-scale challenges from unified identity to microservice design to event streaming; and guide the software development teams to help them solve hard problems. You will play a central role, contributing to the roadmap, implementing best practices, and making an impact on the Agile team, the product, the company, and our 24K clients.
Whether you come from a consulting or product background, you want to apply your experience aligning the realities of engineering with business needs to a new product and a new mission. At LifeWorks, we give you the chance to bring real-world solutions to life and make our vision for a people-centric continuum of care through technology a reality.
This position is fully remote, but you can choose to work out of one of our hubs in Toronto/Markham, Montreal, or Atlanta.
What's in it for you
Purpose, challenges, and influence. At LifeWorks, we're using evergreen tech for good. It's about as value-driven as it gets, and we are passionate about what we do, ensuring what we build is welcoming, resilient and scalable. After all, our goal is to impact 1 billion lives. This is an opportunity to drive the pilot schedule for a central strategy in the LifeWorks product organization, including two major releases this year. It’s a chance to unite architectural systems across the company and move towards event-driven architecture. You will have a genuine opportunity to craft and shape our new mental health product, collaborating with every department. It’s a chance to grow your expertise, your network, and your influence as part of our lean engineering operations. As we continue to scale, so will your career with a direct path to executive-level technical or people leadership.
How you will make an impact as our Lead Software Developer:
Enterprise architecture. You will build out standards and reference architecture, introduce best practices, and gain buy-in and adoption for a cohesive way of working. You will:
- Collaborate with tech leaders to build and influence LifeWorks' technology strategy, and roadmap.
- Mentor, develop, and partner with InfoSec, Engineering, DevOps, Data and Analytics and our Cloud Infrastructure Team.
- Drive agility and speed of delivery of solutions to meet business demands through efficient processes, education, and intelligent solutioning.
Technology innovation. You will elevate our position in the wellbeing landscape, our product, and our reputation. You will:
- Identify, evaluate and propose technologies to add to our portfolio, from developer tooling to new cloud services.
- Be hands-on and lead the adoption of those technologies across feature teams of developers.
- Build external alliances with partners and industry experts.
What you bring:
- The passion. You are a lifelong learner and experimenter, inspired to stay current with industry trends and think deeply about how new technologies can deliver business value.
- The technical knowledge. You have 6+ years of professional experience in the software development industry as an Engineer. Ideally, you have experience designing and building solutions for globally distributed technology platforms containing confidential health information and the need to adhere to compliance or regulatory guidelines. You have in-depth insights and practical experience with:
- Enterprise architecture principles and best practices, software architecture, coding patterns, and developer tooling.
- Azure, AWS or cloud-native infrastructure.
- Microservices, event-driven architecture, using tools such as Confluence.
- API design, management, and implementation patterns.
- Security principles and requirements, including managing sensitive, confidential personal information and adhering to external regulatory requirements.
- Open source development and community contribution through GitHub, networking, technical blogging, etc.
- The interpersonal skills. You can build trust to lead others and influence decision-makers. You are a great team player who thrives in a collaborative environment, working cross-functionally with Product, DevOps, infrastructure, and Executive leaders. You have effective and flexible communication skills and can comfortably explain complex problems and technical solutions to a range of audiences.
- The education. You may have a Bachelor's or advanced degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field, but we know not everyone gains their skills through traditional academic training.
As designers and providers of technology solutions delivering access to the four pillars of wellbeing to global communities, we are committed to nurturing a remote and onsite environment that welcomes, embraces and appreciates the diversity of the people who make up our teams and the people that use our products. We value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized but valued.
If you feel you have 70% of what we are looking for and share our mission to make the workplace and the world better through wellbeing solutions, express your interest. We promise to take the time to consider the full spectrum of what you offer.
Where permitted by law, LifeWorks employees must be fully immunized to access a LifeWorks office or customer premises.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
Fulfilling work that matters
LifeWorks is in the business of helping organizations help their people, and in the process, we strive to elevate ours. We're always looking for talented professionals and strategic leaders looking to make a difference in the lives of the people we serve. We appreciate the interest of every applicant; however, we contact only those selected for an interview.
At LifeWorks, we are committed to putting our people first. Our priority is to optimize the health and productivity of our people. In light of COVID-19, our company continues to monitor the global situation and following local guidance in each of our communities to ensure the health and wellbeing of our employees. Safety is our highest priority, and while the goal is to ultimately return to the office, we are currently working remotely and are connecting with candidates through virtual interviews, recruitment events, and information sessions. We are excited to connect with you virtually, and look forward to receiving your application.