Low Power Wireless Firmware Engineer
Garmin Canada Ltd.Cochrane, AB21 days ago
Garmin Canada’s Wireless Connectivity Platforms team has multiple opportunities for full-time Low Power Wireless Firmware Engineers who are passionate about wireless technology and wireless connectivity solutions. ANT & Bluetooth technologies enable compelling customer features in Garmin products such as connected widgets and apps on a smartwatch, seamless integration with mobile phones, interacting with IoT systems, and real-time collection and analysis of fitness data from wearables and other sensors.
As a Low Power Wireless Firmware Engineer working on the Wireless Connectivity Platforms team you will:
- Design, implement, debug, and optimize high-quality wireless solutions (new platforms, features, architecture, subsystems, software modules):
- Lead problem solving efforts to improve performance and reliability
- Investigate complex field issues and create interoperable solutions
- Integrate, maintain, and contribute to 3rd party and open source software projects
- Improve and tailor vendor drivers, stacks and applications to our needs
- Develop scalable solutions that can be adapted for a wide variety of products and use cases
- Work directly, as a technology expert, with all Garmin product segments including Outdoor, Fitness, Marine, Consumer Automotive, and Portable Aviation to support product features related to ANT and/or BLE:
- Verify performance through testing and data analysis
- Evaluate designs for performance, maintainability, and potential security issues
- Participate in code and design reviews, giving and receiving detailed feedback with other engineers
- Work with the electrical engineering teams to ensure the best hardware and RF architecture is in place to support a superb customer experience
- Work with partner software teams to define and implement appropriate system interfaces (HW/SW) to meet reliability, throughput, and power management requirements
- Support compliance and certification activities including RF compliance testing, BLE Profile Test Suite (PTS) testing, BLE Qualified Design ID (QDID) inspection, and profile version analysis
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering with a cumulative GPA greater than 3.0, and a minimum of 5 years relevant software development experience, which must include:
- Proficiency in writing software in C and C++
- Hands-on experience with ANT and/or BLE focused software development on embedded systems
- Debugging the BLE protocol over-the-air with protocol analyzers
- Implementing low level serial drivers on bare metal platforms (UART/SPI/SDIO)
- Collaborative software development in a team environment
- Debugging complex problems on embedded systems
Other desirable skills and experience include:
- Integrating and maintaining 3rd party software packages (e.g. SDKs)
- Identifying system and software security risks and developing solutions
- Detailed knowledge of the Bluetooth specification
- Bluetooth development or integration on iPhone and Android devices
- Working on projects with teams distributed across multiple sites
- Working on multiple simultaneous development projects
- Low-power system development and verification
At Garmin Canada, we create more than just products – we inspire solutions and innovations that change and shape how we live, work and play. You’ll get to work alongside top talent from around the globe while working on cutting-edge products and enabling compelling ecosystems with ultra-low power wireless technology. Here’s why you want to work for us:
You’ll bring products to life.
Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. Become a key contributor to our exciting portfolio of Garmin products and help us bring our devices from concept to market.
You’ll love the location.
Nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, we’re located just 15-minutes outside of Calgary in Cochrane, Alberta. A retreat from fast-paced cities - Cochrane allows us to build relationships with the community and focus on what we do best – creating innovative solutions for unique use-cases in the ultra-low power wireless and sport industries. With many other tech companies calling Cochrane home, we can’t think of a better place to be!
You’ll love our office culture.
Company BBQs, active sports, casual dress, volunteer opportunities, social committee organized events and the occasional sneak peak of new release movies (Star Wars, anyone?) allows team members to get to know each other outside the office.
You’ll receive fantastic benefits.
Opportunities for professional development, no waiting period for vacation or our extensive benefit plan, RRSP matching, stock purchase options, product discounts and flexible work schedules are available for all team members.
You’ll be part of something big.
Our open concept, open door policy office supports a fun, collaborate and supportive work culture. All our team members, regardless of their team, are encouraged to think big and share their ideas. Our team members are innovators, solution creators and outside-the-box thinkers ready to take on any challenge.