Machine Learning Developer
Working at CBC:
At the CBC, we all have a story to tell. What’s yours?
If you share our passion for Canadian storytelling and you wish to help us engage with individuals and communities across our various digital platforms, this is where you’ll want to be!
Every day, you will have an opportunity to shape the way in which Canadians see themselves reflected in our digital services. Your work will have a direct impact on how millions of Canadians from various communities connect with our products, with one another, and with the diverse voices that make our country so unique.
You will have the opportunity to play a part in enlightening and entertaining Canadians through our innovative work in building the mediums that deliver our content. We are an innovative hub, where the talented professionals we work with are respected and valued for their contributions. Our product teams are vibrant and our work culture strives to achieve the highest standards of diversity and inclusion. We believe that hiring people with different career paths and backgrounds is fundamental in our shared success and in building healthy and highly performant teams. When you join our mission, you are not only shaping the vision of the CBC, but the future of our country.
Why is this role important?
This isn’t your typical machine learning role. You are taking the best of data systems engineering, machine learning and software development, and applying it to interesting problems you wouldn’t normally get a chance to solve at a big enterprise or a startup.
As a Machine Learning Developer, you’ll be able to apply Machine Learning approaches to products, where the expected outcome is to show value to our audience, rather than to increase company revenue. We have several recommendation systems in production that we actively iterate on. At CBC Digital Products, we tackle the hard problems, while applying the very best solutions to serve the needs of Canadians. For more stories on what we have built and how we use Machine Intelligence at CBC, explore our blog posts on Medium.
As our new Machine Learning Developer, you will be responsible for development and deployment of Machine Learning algorithms, uniquely catered to our various product offerings and content areas, and their success metrics. With direct mentorship from senior members of our Machine Learning practice, this is an exciting opportunity to apply your knowledge and grow your hands-on skills using - and building - the latest tools and technologies.
If you're passionate about Canada and you love technology, learning and bringing out the best in others, you’ll love working at CBC.
Here’s why we should work together:
Our digital teams’ values - collaboration, learning, and continuous improvement - embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas and supporting their pursuit of new skills and their desired career progression.
Here at CBC Digital Strategy & Products, we want you to be happy and feel good at work. It is essential that work be a safe space where our employees are able to share their authentic selves with one another and to push each other to challenge conventions.
Perks you can look forward to:
- Flexible work schedules, allowing you to prioritize yourself, your family and your work;
- Work from home opportunities;
- Competitive total rewards package;
- 20% of time for innovation, learning and development; wherever your interests lie;
- Opportunities to work with cutting edge technology;
- Opportunities for continued learning and professional development;
- Opportunities to become a member of our Employee Resource Groups;
- Pair programming and mentorship opportunities, where you can learn from the best in the industry and help coach new talent;
- A creative and dynamic work environment, where your ideas and contributions can be heard, valued and respected;
- A supportive management team committed to upholding the highest standards of diversity and inclusivity;
- An environment which favours experimentation and an iterative approach in order to achieve the highest form of technical innovation.
How you will make an impact:
- You will build, validate and deploy machine learning solutions that will help us better engage with Canadians.
- You will experiment with machine learning algorithms to create personalized experiences uniquely customized for Canadians.
- You will help iterate on our machine learning infrastructure to ensure it continues to be robust and scalable.
- You will collaborate with individuals, teams and community of practices to ensure the highest quality product is developed and best practices are followed.
- You will continuously pursue knowledge through build, measure, learn processes in an Agile environment and stay on top of the latest technology developments.
What you could bring to our team:
- The passion for machine learning and data. You like to experiment and explore bleeding edge technologies and techniques, and validate their effectiveness. You are comfortable with the level of ambiguity these new technologies and projects might bring.
- The experience. You have strong software development principles and apply them rigorously. To that end, we will be asking you to complete a timed technical assessment. We want to respect your time, evaluate your skills and ensure you have the knowledge that will enable you to thrive and grow in our environment.
- The education. A degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or equivalent is preferred, but we know not everyone gains their programming skills this way.
- The technical skills. You have strong software development skills in Python and knowledge of machine learning libraries (e.g. Tensorflow). You have an interest in Big Data technologies, NoSQL, ETL and Google Cloud Platform or AWS.
- The bonus skills. Ideally, you have at least two years experience in building machine learning models and deploying them into production.
At the CBC, we recognize that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. We value diversity of thought and of experience, and we are excited to hear from you!
Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning, and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet most of the qualifications and you are excited by the possibility of adding to the rich culture of the CBC, take a chance and express your interest by applying now!
If you’re interested in reading more about the various backgrounds of the talented people that make up our teams, our exciting new projects, and what we’re currently working on, check out our Digital Labs blog on Medium!
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.