Machine Learning Scientist
Chisel AIToronto, ON5 days ago
Since Ron Glozman founded Chisel AI in 2015 (see his full story here) we’ve evolved to be the machine learning leader in the insurance space. Our software reads insurance forms in milliseconds and extracts key policy information for some of the world’s largest companies. At Chisel AI, we make it possible for our customers to process data 400X faster than a human can; allowing them to focus on nuanced and interesting work that drives real value for their customers – which is now more important than ever.
We have a rare opportunity for a Machine Learning Scientist who wants to take the latest advances in ML and NLP to develop this technology for delivery in production.
This is a chance to take your passion for solving complex problems, and apply your findings tactically not just theoretically, as you build out solutions to solve a major industry challenge faced by large global customers. Reporting to our Product Development Manager, you will collaborate with our Machine Learning and Engineering teams to implement best practices and further iterate on our core AI information extraction competency. This is a unique opportunity to get in at the ground level as we scale; to define AI models for our entire organization and to revolutionize an industry with data that’s actionable.
Our new Machine Learning Scientist will:
- Develop. In this role, you’ll hit the ground running creating production-level code for our core AI capability within your first month. You’ll work closely with the Data Science Lead and Machine Learning Scientists to create new ML algorithms and models, to execute on our product roadmap, and will push the envelope forward in InsurTech.
- Research. You will spend 10% of your time researching the latest trends and breakthroughs in NLP and related fields in ML, especially document information extraction. Whether you find this information on Reddit, StackExchange, HackerNews, or in academic journals is up to you, but you’ll be expected to share key takeaways with us.
- Collaborate. You will work with our Research and Engineering teams to iterate, develop and mature best in market product solutions.
Our new Machine Learning Scientist has:
- The experience. You have 2+ years of experience developing production-level code, preferably in a machine learning or SaaS software environment. You have a strong understanding of machine learning development in Python and have an understanding of information extraction problems and related areas in ML.
- The education. Ideally, you hold a master’s degree or Ph.D. in machine learning, computer science, physics, mathematics, statistics, or a related analytical field. We do, however, recognize that not everyone gains their skills this way. If you have a bachelor’s degree in software engineering or computer science and the technical work experience to match, we’d still like to see your profile.
- The technical skillset. You have a deep knowledge of Python ML tools, including scikit-learn, and Pandas or similar frameworks. You’ve successfully applied these technologies in the past and are eager to learn new ways to leverage these frameworks.
- The intellectual curiosity. You’re a solutions-oriented individual who wants to dig deep into and apply the latest research to solve real business problems. You are known for keeping on top of best practices and industry breakthroughs; you are eager to share your expertise with our team.
So what do you need to know about Chisel AI?
We are technology enthusiasts and experts pushing the limits on how AI will shape the future of insurance. Having successfully raised one of the largest seed rounds in Canadian history and with partners like Venrock, a leading Silicon Valley venture firm, by our side very little stands in the way of our success.
We’ve been recognized by several of the top accelerators in Canada including Creative Destruction Labs and the DMZ and were crowned the winner of the ACORD Global InsurTech Innovation Challenge in 2018. All of which just marked the start of our momentum as in 2019, we won gold at the Zurich Innovation World Championship and made the CIX Top 20 Early Companies list celebrating the most innovative technology companies in Canada.
Why join Chisel AI?
We’re a company with heavy traction, big clients, and a plan to expand rapidly. We’ve assembled a strong and diverse leadership team and are poised to scale and develop talented people of all levels. This is a place where failures turn into opportunities, where we learn from each other and where everyone’s voice is heard. We’re at a unique and rare stage of growth that will give our team and those who join us a chance to put their mark on everything we build.
What you can expect when you apply to Chisel AI
We know that diversity and belonging makes for the best problem solving and creative thinking. Chisel AI is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment where employees feel valued and respected, and where every employee has the opportunity to realize their potential. We want to know what motivates you and we don’t believe that everyone follows the same career path. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to our team and encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if required, and will work with you to meet your needs.
Due to COVID-19 please expect changes to our standard recruitment process. In all instances, the safety of our team and our candidates is of our utmost concern so we will be conducting interviews virtually. We will keep you informed on these changes and ensure that you are prepared in advance with the necessary instructions to conduct the next steps in the recruitment process.