Manager, Data Engineering
ClioVancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Remote9 days ago
We are currently seeking a Manager of Data Engineering to lead our new Data Engineering team. This role can be performed from one of our Canadian offices, remotely across Canada, or a combination of both. Some exceptions may apply.
What your team does:
As a Manager of Data Engineering you and your team will build our data pipelines, transforms, and collaborate with our Data Scientists to create data models that suit their needs. The ultimate deliverable of the team will be a data warehouse that our Data Scientists will use to author annual Legal Trends Reports and help guide business decision-making This is a new team at Clio and one we plan to invest in heavily over the coming years. We’re looking for an experienced data engineer who wants to help us build solid foundations in this space. This role will work closely with our data science, systems engineering, and security teams. This role offers the opportunity to scale out a team of engineers. A demonstrated interest or previous experience managing a team is an advantage.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead the architectural design, development, validation, and delivery of large-scale data pipelines and ETL workflows.
- Work on large-scale data extraction, processing, transformations, and modelling to enable data science efforts.
- Maintain and expand a secure, scalable and performant data infrastructure.
- Drive understanding and buy-in of the resulting data warehouse amongst all stakeholders at all levels across Clio.
- Lead code reviews, architecture planning sessions, implementation, and technical documentation.
- Hire, retain and grow Clio’s data engineering technical talent into a Human and High Performing team.
You may be a fit for this role if you have:
- 5+ years experience in designing, implementing, and maintaining large-scale data pipelines and ETL workflows
- 5+ years of experience in data warehousing and large-scale computing
- Expertise working with cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud, etc)
- Experience working with stream processing solutions such as Spark
- Experience with data warehousing tools such as Redshift, BigQuery, Kafka, and Athena
- Experience with repeatable deployment strategies (eg: infrastructure as code)
- Understanding of the design and implementation of distributed systems
- Proficiency with Python or Ruby
Serious bonus points if you have:
- Prior experience with machine learning and data analytics
- Prior experience with dashboarding tools such as Tableau, Mode, and Looker
- Prior experience with AWS Glue, EMR, MySQL
Where your team works:
Clio is currently transitioning to a Distributed by Design workplace, which means a workplace that is built around you. This means that Clio offers employees the opportunity to work from one of our offices or in a distributed manner across Canada. At Clio, distributed working has been built into our culture from day one, with teams (and, at times, founders) distributed across provinces and time zones. We have invested in best-in-class tools, technology and culture to ensure our team members are set up to succeed no matter where they live in Canada. We want all team members to feel like they're able to do their best work here, and we're committed to supporting that whether they prefer to work from an office or remotely.
At Clio, we’re more than just a tech company. We’re transforming the practice of law in a permanent and meaningful way that’s bettering the lives of legal professionals while increasing access to justice for all.
We are high achievers who are setting new standards for what it means to be a tech company. In the past three years, we’ve launched a new interface and experience of our software, acquired our first company, launched a second product, secured the largest Series D in Canadian history at the time, and launched a $1 million dollar relief fund to help legal professionals navigate the challenges of COVID-19 (just to name a few).
We are dedicated to creating diverse teams and inclusive workplaces. We know that different perspectives, skills, backgrounds, and experiences result in higher-performing teams and innovation. We believe you do your best work when you can show up as your authentic self—and that’s a key part of our culture.
At Clio, you have the chance to not only do the best work of your career but work that is putting Canada on the global stage. We know our technology changes lives and we’re committed to making an impact. If that’s something that speaks to you—you belong here, too. Join us.
Learn more about our culture and benefits at clio.com/careers