Please include a cover letter with your resume (in one file) describing how you would be a great fit at Photonic and what attributes you could bring to our growing team.
The Integrated Photonics team is an integral part of the Research & Development department at Photonic, where we’re focused on building scalable, fault-tolerant quantum computers based on photonically-linked silicon spins.
In role of Manager, Integrated Photonics, you’ll work with a highly collaborative and multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers responsible for design, fabrication, test, and packaging of photonic integrated circuits (PICs), or a relevant subset of the above. You enjoy working in a fast-paced high-tech R&D environment and have deep experience managing R&D plans in industry. You have a passion for developing novel technologies, and may have some expertise in quantum photonic technologies. (We know it’s unlikely you’ll have domain expertise in all of these areas, so we hope you consider applying if you’re awesome at management, have a background in integrated photonics, and have worked in a R&D environment before.)
WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO
- Manage several plans within the integrated photonics group, providing both people and technical leadership, promoting a high-performance, results-driven environment with a strict adherence to project management requirements
- Manage resource allocation effectively across multiple projects and teams
- Attract, develop, motivate, and retain top talent for the integrated photonics teams
- Work with the program managers and Director, Integrated Photonics to drive alignment across multiple teams, meeting product roadmap deliverables and key technical milestones
- Work with the team to support Photonic’s Intellectual Property (IP) strategy
- Ensure that the integrated photonics team provides technical assistance to other departments
- Support technical evaluation of design requirements /constraints and guide teams in developing concepts, evaluating risks, and making effective and timely decisions
- Ensure the cross-compatibility between parts and processes throughout the design process
- Provide cross training opportunities for team members and support internal growth
SOME OF THE ATTRIBUTES YOU COULD BRING TO OUR TEAM
- 5+ years of people leadership in R&D within a company that develops, manufactures, and sells complex technology solutions
- Advanced degree (MSc or PhD) in engineering or physics
- A solid background in integrated photonics with knowledge of design, fabrication, and testing methods
- Experience in setting and scaling the research and development function, with the proven ability to attract, inspire, motivate, and retain top tier diverse talent
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to new situations in rapidly changing R&D environment
- Outstanding teamwork skills
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH US
- Get involved with a quantum startup company set to redefine computing
- Work closely with some of the brightest innovators in quantum technologies
- Enjoy a fast-paced and fun environment where you can try new things while solving innovative challenges every day
- Inclusive company culture
- Competitive salary, benefits (including life insurance, extended health, dental, long term disability, and a flexible spending account), and potential upside
This job posting is being used to hire across multiple levels, the base annual salary range for these varying positions is between $120,000 to $194,000. This range reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all Canadian locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The description above is what we think an ideal candidate would look like for this role. At Photonic, we understand that everyone has a different work and life journey. If you feel your experience is close to what we've described, but you might not meet all the requirements, please still apply! We are also committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences, knowing that these very differences inspire innovation and build better teams. If there are any accommodations our team can make throughout our hiring process, please let us know.