WESTMAN COMMUNICATIONS GROUP (Westman) is seeking applications from energetic, highly motivated individuals to become part of our growing team!
Westman is an industry-leading communications provider based in Brandon MB, with significant capital expenditures and growth in new communities. Westman offers residential and commercial High-Speed Internet, Digital TV, and Phone services in communities across Manitoba. Westman also owns and operates radio stations Q Country 91.5 FM and 94.7 STAR FM, which broadcast throughout southwestern Manitoba. Established in 1977, as a locally owned and operated cooperative, Westman is dedicated to delivering competitive and innovative services, providing an exceptional member experience, and supporting the communities we serve. Westman empowers their employees to be innovative, team-oriented, community-based, and customer-focused, championing a culture centered around strong values.
Based in Brandon and reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Manager, Network Services is responsible for leading and managing the operation of the Westman Communications Group internet, voice, and video infrastructure for residential, business, and wholesale service delivery. This encompasses all networks including Fibre and short, medium and long-haul transport, Core and distribution routing, Access technologies and all associated voice, video systems, applications, servers, storage, monitoring, security, data, and equipment. This position provides direction and prioritization of projects and objectives while coordinating the activities of all network teams (including consultants and contractors) for the entire Westman Communications Group network.
- Manage the evolution path of Westman Communications Group network through demonstrated best practices in network engineering and operations
- Ensure operational readiness and network reliability for the proper operation of internet, voice, and video services through change management, procedural development, and documentation of current systems
- Be aware of industry trends, technology, and competition; evaluate the business impact and make recommendations as required
- Research new technology and its application to the company in cooperation with other departments
- Seek out and assess new business opportunities and initiate/participate in business case assessment
- Ensure compliance with all quality standards, legal/contractual obligations, and regulatory requirements
- Provide clear direction, instruction and guidance to the Network Services & NOC teams
- Identify and understand team members’ strengths, weaknesses, and motivations; monitor and coach team members to ensure their professional growth and development in both short and long-term capacity
- Monitor and refine business processes, workflows, and digital assets to optimize the team’s effectiveness and time management
- Foster a cohesive team by developing a foundation of trust
- Analyze department structures and complement or make recommendations with supporting documentation
- Ensure teams follow the corporate performance management process and provide employees with objectives that support Westman’s goals
- Encourage employees to provide feedback to improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Ensure that Key Performance Indicators (KPI) have been defined to gauge the effectiveness of the teams and that team provides the best customer experience possible
- Review budgets based on department’s goals and objectives in collaboration with the Chief Technology Officer
- Monitor and report on each department’s budget status including variance analysis and projections
- Provide approval for purchase orders and authorization on all invoices related to each department’s budget in accordance with company policy
Planning and Change Management
- Direct all activities related to design and implementation of Westman’s IP network infrastructure
- Identify and recommend changes to improve performance, security, and reliability
- Ensure teams develop and maintain required proactive maintenance programs to meet expected system availability
- Plan and coordinate all changes to systems and services according to established change management procedures
Education and Experience
- Engineering degree, Certificate/Diploma in Telecommunications, Computer Sciences or a recognized equivalent in work experience and self-study
- Experience with managing large IP routed networks and experience or a base understanding of BGP, MPLS, MEF, CGNAT, DPI and TDM, would be considered an asset
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in the following:
- An architecture, design, or leadership role with a telecom service provider, retail/access network is required
- Building and operating large-scale networks in a Service Provider setting
- Managing remote POP & Datacenter sites
- Experience with access network technologies including DOCSIS and GPON
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Professional attitude, high and unquestioned ethical standards, and ability to handle sensitive and proprietary information with complete confidentiality
- Strong analytical ability for both qualitative and quantitative data analysis with the capacity to recognize, interpret, and analyze error reports and data
- Proven leadership skills with a high motivation to meet personal, team, and corporate goals
- Demonstrated strategic planning, decision-making, and problem-solving skills; strives when working under pressure and in stressful situations
- Strong written and oral communication skills, leadership abilities, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to establish positive relationships and communicate clear expectations, deliverables, and deadlines in a positive manner while leading and motivating cross-functional teams
- Motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic capable of working independently, without supervision
- Demonstrated planning, engineering, project management, and vendor management skills
- Proven ability to multitask and prioritize multiple, concurrent priorities
- Advanced expertise networking skills and understanding of network structure, design, and troubleshooting
- Proficient computer software skills (MS Excel/Word/Outlook/SharePoint)
- Familiarity with different operating systems (LINUX, Windows)
- Ability to be available for emergency services and problem escalation as required
- Must be able to hold and maintain a valid driver’s license
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: This position is open until filled.
Westman is a successful, fast-paced and dynamic organization, with a positive, team-oriented work environment. We offer competitive compensation including a comprehensive and unique benefits package. Leverage your knowledge with a local technology leader.
Apply today to join our team at https://westmancom.com/careers and begin your exciting career journey with us!
As an equal-opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. While we thank each applicant for their interest, only selected candidates will be contacted.