The SQL Database Administrator will provide the first and second levels of support, participate in the architecture, management, and support of highly available on-prem and cloud-based infrastructure and database systems. They will also support mission-critical applications and web services, in a fast-paced, rapidly growing, geographically distributed environment to deliver exceptional service quality and meet service level agreements.
Reports to: Associate Director, IT Operations
Effective Date: ASAP
Duration: Full time
• Troubleshooting, analysis, and problem solving
• Team orientated
• Results driven
• Decision making
• Communication and interpersonal skills
- Database: Responsible for the overall installation, configuration, management and proactive monitoring and reporting of the availability, health, performance, capacity, security of the entire database systems and services.
- Design, create, tune, optimize test and debug databases, instances and database objects and processes, including schemas, queries, indexes, stored procedures, data loading, mirroring, and replication
- Implement and enhance database and systems monitoring, alerting and event management to minimize and eliminate database and systems downtime
- Security: Establish and maintain database security by implementing access controls, managing user accounts and permissions, and ensuring compliance with security best practices, policies and standards.
- Plan, implement and regularly audit the environment to ensure data security, privacy, and integrity and to prevent unauthorized access and misuse of the data
- Develop, validate and implement backup, failover and recovery strategies, processes and procedures to ensure data protection and minimize downtime in case of system maintenance, failures or disasters.
- Perform regular maintenance and update and upgrade database servers and operating systems when required
- Introduce, support, and enhance automation and continuous delivery and ensure that standards and best practices are followed
- Forecast future database growth, analyze resource utilization, and recommend and implement infrastructure upgrades or enhancements based on evolving business needs.
- Support the IT operations and application support teams, assume ownership and respond to service requests, incidents, and problems; perform root cause analysis and implement preventative measures to maintain service performance
- Work closely with the scrum and service management teams to support application release and deployment initiatives
- Escalate to and work with external suppliers and service providers as needed
- Solve problems and Introduce solutions to eliminate issues and drive continuous service performance improvements
- Research and advise on new tools and technologies and contribute to the continuous improvement of the environment
- Recommend, document, and implement database systems standards, management and maintenance policies and standard operational procedures
- Work outside of business hours and on the weekends as needed
Education, Certifications and Experience Requirements:
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in a large-scale environment.
- University degree in computer science or a related field or equivalent experience
- Professional certifications in database and administration are considered an asset.
- ITIL certification is considered an asset.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Extensive experience in managing mission-critical, highly available, clustered MS SQL database systems.
- Strong experience in capacity and performance management
- Strong experience in database security and data protection
- A mindset toward integration, automation, and continuous improvement
- Minimum of 7 years of Microsoft SQL server management experience
- T-SQL scripting, SSMS, SSRS and SSIS
- Hands-on experience with high availability, load balancing, clustering, log shipping and replication
- MS Windows Server (OS, DNS, DHCP, PowerShell)
- TCP/IP/HTTPS protocols
Nice to have:
- MS Azure platform and MS Azure SQL services
- .NET framework, JAVA, XML
This position is in Ottawa, ON. It is a Hybrid role, with a mixture of working on-site minimum of two (2) days per week and remotely.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration for the role will be contacted.
At CREA, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.