Please include a cover letter with your resume (in one file) outlining why you think you’d be a great fit at Photonic and what attributes you could bring to our growing team.
Nanofabrication Engineers are responsible for the development and execution of routines and processes to fabricate Photonic’s next generation of quantum chips. As a team player with an in-depth understanding of semiconductor device fabrication, you will spend a significant portion of your day in a cleanroom environment, as well as collaborating daily with a diverse, multi-disciplinary group of engineers, scientists, and other technical team members.
WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO
- Develop routines and processes to fabricate Photonic’s next generation of chips. Processes are diverse and may include ion implantation, photo- and electron-beam lithography, wet and plasma processing, material deposition, wafer thinning, dicing, and packaging
- Develop new capabilities to deposit and grow high quality thin films using PVD, CVD, and/or MBE techniques
- Develop new processes to build novel hybrid wafer stacks
- Execute routine but precision device processing to maintain highly reproducible results at an unprecedented yield
- Do precision device characterization
- Script, or modify data analysis code
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of all processes performed
- Write operating procedures and result analysis reports
- Interact regularly with materials and services suppliers
- Collaborate with a highly multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Present verbal and written findings to cross-functional teams
- Contribute to solutions to complex engineering problems
- Contribute to our IP portfolio
WHAT YOU BRING TO OUR TEAM
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree in engineering, applied physics, materials science, or other relevant discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Deep experience with characterization equipment: SEM, TEM, XPS, XRD, FIB, SIMS, etc.
- Strong hands-on experience in semiconductor device fabrication (preferably silicon photonics or Optical MEMS) demonstrated by a portfolio of fabricated devices
- Experience with wafer bonding and thin-film layer transfer techniques
- Experience with optical and electron lithography tools.
- Experience with data analysis software (MATLAB, Python, etc.)
- Experience with layout data preparation and processing software
- Experience in a research and/or research & development setting, involving micro/nanofabrication process development
- Ability to work independently while also being a great team member
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of superconducting thin-film materials is a plus
- Knowledge of crystalline material growth with CVD or MBE is a plus
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH US
- Get involved with a quantum startup company set to redefine computing
- Work closely with some of the brightest innovators in quantum technologies
- Enjoy a fast-paced and fun environment where you can try new things while solving innovative challenges every day
- Inclusive company culture
- Competitive salary, benefits (including life insurance, extended health, dental, long term disability, and a flexible spending account), and potential upside
This job posting is being used to hire across multiple levels, the base annual salary range for these varying positions is between $90,000 to $160,000. This range reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all Canadian locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The description above is what we think an ideal candidate would look like for this role. At Photonic, we understand that everyone has a different work and life journey. If you feel your experience is close to what we've described, but you might not meet all the requirements, please still apply! We are also committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences, knowing that these very differences inspire innovation and build better teams. If there are any accommodations our team can make throughout our hiring process, please let us know.