BenchVancouver, Toronto - Remote24 days ago
We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
We’re a committed and talented group of diverse people working hard to solve a real, universal problem for millions of entrepreneurs: businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. We’ve paired smart humans with incredibly powerful software to develop the fastest, most efficient bookkeeping service in history. This lets us provide monthly and yearly financials at an incredibly accessible price, giving business owners the time, confidence, and knowledge they need to be successful.
Bench is growing fast. Recently, we’ve onboarded our 10,000th client and our 600th employee. We have a clear, funded path to profitability, and a roadmap that we believe will rapidly accelerate the trajectory of our business. We’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible journey, in pursuit of bringing financial mastery to our clients.
What does the Bench Tax department look like?
With Bench Tax we will ensure our clients can ditch the tax season stress, forever. We’re a startup within a startup; a growing team that is reshaping the tax industry through providing year round tax advisory, customized tax plans, and the best possible tax return for our small business clients at a price point small business owners can afford.
What you’ll be getting up to:Team Leadership
You are an experienced team leader, who prioritizes the growth and performance of their team over everything. You inject passion and energy into your team, are an effective coach, and are always looking for new ways to untap the potential of your team.
- Ensures that the team is performing at the highest level, and are aligned with the objectives of the Bench Tax Team
- Constantly creates opportunities for the team to develop themselves to reach higher levels of capability through mentorship, education, and coaching
- Takes swift and appropriate action to address performance concerns that impact other teammates or our clients
- Builds the foundation of an excellent team through exceptional hiring and promotion decisions
Clients are everything
At the core of everything we do is our clients. As the Operations Manager of Bench Tax, you obsess over positive outcomes for our clients. Whether that’s leading your team to achieve next level tax filing deadline performance, coordinating the efforts of multiple teams at Bench that drive positive experiences for our clients, or ensuring all of the systems, processes, and tools enable the team to achieve our ambitious goals.
- Accountable for all outcomes of our tax compliance services, and can effectively direct the team to exceed the expectations of our service delivery
- Ensures that the team, and other teams at Bench, are upholding the high service standards we have of our tax service, and can effectively take corrective action when Bench actions aren’t conducive to our clients having an exceptional experience
- Takes full ownership over systems, processes, and workflows of the team, and acts as an agent of change when there are broad improvements that can better the experience of our clients and Benchmates
Take a stand
Bench Tax is transforming the tax industry by creating a service that prioritizes the success of our clients over anything else. As a leader of the Bench Tax team, you are fired up to fundamentally change the lives of our clients through the positive outcomes our team can create. We embrace every setback, conversation, experience, and success as a means of making your stand happen.
- Create and deliver on the Bench Tax Team’s quarterly Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) or Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Prioritize and lead key initiatives to systematically improve the delivery of Bench Tax’s service lines, which requires extensive collaboration with other departments at Bench as well as our partner, Taxfyle
- Perform regular reviews and presentations of performance data and visualizations on the Bench Tax service to various stakeholders, ensuring that we are taking the right actions to deliver on the Bench Tax OKRs, KPIs, or strategic deliverables
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Team Leadership: You are an experienced team leader that prioritizes coaching, training, and mentorship to each person on your team. You must have demonstrated the ability to provide ongoing coaching, mentorship and training, to a broad range of people with varying experiences, that allows your team to achieve next level performance.
- (This translates to +/-3 years of team leadership experience)
- Client Obsessed: Everything we do is for our clients. You are continuously an advocate for creating and delivering an exceptional client experience, and find incredible value in the relationships we build with our clients.
- All About Continuous Improvement: Has demonstrable experience continuously improving processes and workflows to enhance client outcomes. Participate with the Bench Tax Teams action to continuously improve the overall service delivery in the pursuit of being completely obsessed with positive client outcomes. At minimum is comfortable working in a space where iterative improvements to enhance our client’s experience is paramount.
It could be an even better fit if you:
- Strategically Minded: We’re here to build a world class tax advisory and compliance service for micro-small businesses in the US. In order to do so, this individual must be able to step into the space where they’ll act as a voice for new opportunities to strategically improve our service offerings, whether that’s breadth or depth of the services.
- A well-developed equity lens: You actively engage in leadership of teams and of strategic-level work with an equity lens and an eye for inclusivity. You don’t just accept equitable practices, you model and advocate for them on your teams and in your work.
Extra bonus points if you:
- Experience in FinTech or Financial Service: You understand the dynamics of a FinTech or Financial Services company and what clients come to expect from professional services like accounting and tax.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Our office has gone fully remote! We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.