Aspect BiosystemsVancouver21 days ago
We are looking for a Patent Analyst to play a vital role in the strategic expansion of our intellectual property portfolio and associated technology stack. To be successful in this role, you will use your strong scientific and technical writing background to identify and assess the patentability of the inventions generated by our diverse team of internal innovators as well as with our Discovery Ecosystem (external partners). You will do this by performing in-depth IP assessments for both our internal and Discovery Ecosystem’s intellectual property and lead the drafting of new provisional patent applications. This work is essential to support the strategic development of our broad and exciting IP portfolio so we can continue to strengthen our position as the industry leader in 3D bioprinting.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Identify and provide detailed assessment of patentability of new innovations by utilizing a wide range of resources including datasheets, schematics, technical papers, presentations, and inventor interviews.
- Work directly with scientists and engineers to generate detailed invention disclosures and draft provisional patents.
- Identify and assess in-licensable technologies by using available databases and resources to understand the technical nuances of external technologies. Perform detailed analyses of competitive or complimentary patents and portfolios to make in-licensing recommendations.
- Communicate results in oral and written presentations to senior management and technical staff.
- Work directly with internal IP leadership and external IP counsel to coordinate drafting and filing of all new provisional patents.
- Maintain proficiency with commercial patent databases and other proprietary databases that disclose technical publications.
- Collaborate with IP and Business teams to establish value of external IP portfolios.
- Support the maintenance and development of existing portfolio assets.
- Maintain up-to-date records of all current and prospective patenting and licensing opportunities.
- Contribute to grant applications and scientific publications when necessary.
WHO YOU ARE
- Education: PhD or MSc in biochemistry or biological discipline (e.g., immunology, microbiology, genetics, neurobiology, molecular biology, cell biology).
- Strong Scientific Foundations: Live and breathe science and have deep knowledge of industry trends. You have a background in scientific research (academic or industrial) ideally at the postdoc level.
- Required Experience: 2+ years experience managing IP assets in a university, law firm or high technology corporation setting. IP portfolio management experience is critical, so you should have a deep understanding of how a patent is structured, the patenting process, and have some experience performing patentability assessments.
- Beneficial Experience: It would be an asset to have experience drafting provisional patent applications in a biotech environment. Experience identifying licensable technologies and supporting the execution of in-license strategies would also set you apart.
- Go-Getter: You work with a sense of urgency, are results-driven, and thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and entrepreneurial environment. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
- Effective Communicator: You have superior written and verbal communication skills. You are an active listener who can communicate to different audiences in diverse situations.
- Detail-Oriented: You sweat the small stuff when it comes to detail, you take pride in your work, and you strive for excellence in the work you do. .
- Flexible Work Schedule: You have the flexibility to work varying hours to support multiple time zones.
WHO WE ARE
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company combining the power of microfluidics and 3D bioprinting to create bioprinted therapeutics. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to move the needle on 3D bioprinting and work towards a future where our technology is used to save lives and make people healthier.
We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Our team is always excited to learn and roll up our sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. We believe that every person on our team is a key contributor to our success. If you are committed to make a real impact and accelerate the development of biotechnology, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
We very much appreciate your interest in a position at Aspect and thank all candidates for applying. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.