Please include a cover letter with your resume (in one file) describing how you would be a great fit at Photonic and what attributes you could bring to our growing team.
The Photonic Integrated Circuit Design Engineer designs and optimizes photonic integrated circuits (PICs) and plays a key role in the development of our photonic quantum computer. You will design first-of-their-kind photonic integrated circuits for implementing truly scalable quantum technologies. The PIC Design Engineer is an expert in the design and simulation of active and passive silicon photonic integrated circuit components and systems. You will be comfortable working in a diverse, multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists.
WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO
- Design and optimize complex active and passive, large-scale silicon photonic integrated circuits (PICs) at both the system and device level
- Design and optimize RF/Microwave circuits and systems
- Propose and implement innovative design solutions
- Design detailed layout of photonic devices and simulate the circuits with common computer-aided design (CAD) tools
- Implement custom process design kits in common CAD tools
- Generate new software and scripts as required to meet design and analysis goals
- Work with foundries and manufacturers
- Evaluate design solutions with simulations and compare with test data
- Present verbal and written findings to cross-functional teams
- Work on issues of integration with other chips and systems
- Drive research and development in the silicon photonic space
- Contribute to our IP portfolio
- Collaborate with a team of photonic designers, nanofabrication engineers, test engineers, and physicists
- Train, guide, and mentor team members on all frameworks and best practices
WHAT YOU BRING TO OUR TEAM
- Master’s or PhD degree in electrical engineering, applied physics or other relevant discipline
- 5+ years of experience with silicon photonics in an industrial setting
- Deep expertise in designing photonic layouts with KLayout, Luceda, Cadence, Mentor Graphics, or equivalent
- Deep expertise in designing and optimizing silicon photonic integrated circuits (PICs)
- Experience in designing RF/Microwave circuits and systems
- Experience in common programming languages like Python and MATLAB
- Proficiency in electromagnetic simulation using common tools, like Lumerical and COMSOL
- Excellent teamwork, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Strong understanding of photonics, electronics, and electromagnetic compatibility
- Insights on the landscape of the silicon photonics industry
- Familiarity in optical bench experiments with tools like parameter analyzers, optical spectrum analyzers, laser sources, etc.
- Ability to work independently while also being a great team member
- Knowledge of quantum optics is a plus
- Knowledge of cryogenic PICs is a plus
- Knowledge of PIC packaging is a plus
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH US
- Get involved with a quantum startup company set to redefine computing
- Work closely with some of the brightest innovators in quantum technologies
- Enjoy a fast-paced and fun environment where you can try new things while solving innovative challenges every day
- Inclusive company culture
- Competitive salary, benefits (including life insurance, extended health, dental, long term disability, and a flexible spending account), and potential upside
This job posting is being used to hire across multiple levels, the base annual salary range for these varying positions is between $90,000 to $160,000. This range reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all Canadian locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The description above is what we think an ideal candidate would look like for this role. At Photonic, we understand that everyone has a different work and life journey. If you feel your experience is close to what we've described, but you might not meet all the requirements, please still apply! We are also committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences, knowing that these very differences inspire innovation and build better teams. If there are any accommodations our team can make throughout our hiring process, please let us know.