Project Engineer - Electrical & Automation
IPEXMontreal, QC18 days ago
IPEX is one of the North American leading providers of advanced plastic piping systems. Our mission is to shape a better tomorrow by connecting people with water and energy.
Our automation projects involve a wide array of plastic transformation processes, including blending, injection molding, extrusion and fabrication. As a member of the Corporate Project Engineering Group, the Project Engineer - Electrical & Automation will be responsible of the management of automation projects. He/she will also be acting as the departmental technical expert regarding electrical and machine safety matters.
- Participate in the elaboration process of the automation strategy.
- Capture internal requirements and establish the associated specification documents.
- Participate in the equipment purchasing process. Meet with suppliers, analyze proposals and make recommendations on the solution choices.
- Active involvement follow-up and review of the design work done by vendors.
- Plan and manage the installation and commissioning phases in our plants, while ensuring that the corporate health and safety standards are observed.
- Ensure the quality, conformity and safety of the automated equipment, before and after they are delivered and installed.
- Follow the financial situation of the projects and help in justifying automation projects.
- Assist in the continuous improvement of departmental engineering methods.
- Act as departmental technical reference regarding, electrical, controls and machine safety matters.
- Lead or realize some modifications and optimization on automated equipment, including PLCs, HMIs, industrial robots and vision systems.
- Act as a change agent within the department and the plants.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in project management, in an automated manufacturing environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical or automated production engineering.
- Member of the ‘Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec’ or the Professional Engineers of Ontario.
- Be available and willing to travel outside of the metropolitan area about 30% of the time.
- Has a valid driver’s license in Quebec or Ontario.
- Rigor and strong organizational skills.
- Skills to manage internal and external teams.
- Capacity to learn in a changing and technological environment.
- Skilled communicator, with strong teamwork values.
- In depth knowledge in electricity, automation, controls, robotics and industrial vision.
- Specific knowledge in machine safety and the applicable standards.
- Writing skills to prepare specifications and validation documents.
- Capability to read, understand and approve electrical schematics.
- Ability to program in different automation software and environment.
- Comfortable with the software such as AutoCad and the Office suite.
- General knowledge of mechanical concepts, pneumatics and hydraulics.