Senior Climate Strategist
Manifest ClimateToronto, ON18 days ago
Our purpose is to shine a light on climate-related risks and opportunities and advance strategies to thrive. To do so, we're building a world-class team to innovate and implement transformative climate strategies.
In January 2020, climate change visionary and entrepreneur Laura Zizzo and successful technology entrepreneur Jeremy Greven joined forces. Together, they launched Manifest with a vision to create the world's most intelligent climate change for business platform. As a result, Manifest Climate was created, a software platform to help companies navigate climate change risks and opportunities. Featuring AI, advanced analytics, climate science, industry best practices, and much more, the platform allows companies to build climate confidence. It provides a clear and straightforward way to understand, assess, govern, and disclose climate-related risks and creates greater transparency for stakeholders. In February 2021, Manifest completed a seed financing of $6.5 million with an exceptional syndicate of leading technology investors.
At Manifest, we work with forward-thinking organizations across a broad range of industries, including finance, government, real estate, and more. Our role is to engage and empower businesses to develop climate and resilience strategies, educate teams on climate developments, equip them with the tools to identify and manage risks and opportunities and provide leading solutions.
We have an immense opportunity to scale our expertise to a global market that requires fast, smart support. We're building a world-class team to inform and inspire substantive, positive climate action. If you are a forward-thinker interested in purpose-driven work that helps real-world decision-makers and influencers respond to the climate crisis, we think you'd like it here.
Who we need
As our new Senior Consultant, you will work autonomously and as part of a collaborative team to influence, empower, and lead the integration of climate-related issues into an organization’s business practices and manage their climate risks and opportunities. We need someone who can design, drive, and successfully deliver professional consulting projects across a multitude of sectors; someone with change management and learning as well as development experience who can contribute to our company.
We're looking for someone with a strong entrepreneurial instinct; someone who is not afraid to take the initiative on a project, manage the administration and truly own their work solving complex problems. A people-leader who can guide and influence the work of a team, providing mentorship to those newer to the space. In a fast-moving environment, we need people who have a deep desire to radically own their impact and embrace the freedom and responsibility of it.
You will engage our clients in conversations to understand what climate risk means to them, proposing strategies or structures to manage these risks, and implementing solutions. These aren’t out of the box solutions. It's bespoke consulting, true partnership, and integrating strategies for success as seen through a climate lens.
Who you are
You want a deeper purpose. You have worked at a consulting firm, in the financial, regulatory industry and/or government, or you have large-scale environmental or climate consulting experience through a startup or scale-up. You are looking for an opportunity to apply your expertise to accelerate the transformation already underway at Manifest Climate. You want to influence major stakeholders at global organizations to take the steps necessary to mitigate climate change.
What's in it for you
Challenges, impact, and inspiration. You want to channel your passion for climate consciousness into your daily work. You want the professional reward of working on the most important issues facing the world today with a diverse team of brilliant yet humble, funny yet incredibly professional collaborators. This is a genuine opportunity to work on climate issues, and to be a thought leader impacting how a wide range of clients think about and act on climate change. You want to be part of a company responding to a massive market opportunity ahead of a huge adoption curve, where soon thousands of public companies will have to disclose climate-related risks and opportunities.
How you will make a difference
- Innovation. You will contribute insights and findings, advise on strategies, and design solutions for clients.
- Project accountability and execution. You will take ownership of and build a sustainability framework; market intelligence; and learning and awareness modules for financial institutions and public companies. From kickoff to adoption, you will manage the project, deliverables, resources, and relationships.
- Collaboration and influence. You will advise on executive and board training, climate resilience strategy, and climate-related financial disclosure. You will work closely with interdisciplinary teams to develop climate-related governance frameworks, risk analysis, opportunity identification, and other related client initiatives. You will motivate and mentor the project team.
- Autonomy. You will embrace and excel in an agile, self-managing environment that encourages everyone to act with a sense of radical responsibility. Manifest operates at the leading edge of both climate change intelligence and leadership paradigms, which offers the thrill of innovation and the challenge of ambiguity. You will thrive as we grow and evolve together. Being part of Manifest allows you to bring your full self to work.
What you bring to our collaborative (virtual) space
- The expertise. You have a post-secondary degree in finance, business, or comparable. CFA, CAIA, or MBA designations preferred. You have deep experience in consulting advising enterprise clients or you are coming from the financial industry or an operational firm. You have played a critical role in the design, implementation or engagement of large-scale strategies and converting that advice into tangible actions, seeing it through to completion.
- The knowledge. You have guided internal or external teams through change management initiatives, and you may have contributed to educational modules to plan for and increase adoption. Ideally, you have either financial assessment experience (i.e., risk process and limits, investment, credit, DCF analysis, portfolio allocation, etc.), ESG (environmental, social, governance) integration experience, or climate change-related experience. Direct TCFD exposure is highly beneficial.
- The communication skills. You can speak to any level of internal or external client. You are comfortable making formal and informal presentations that bring together strategy and high level concepts. Your written work from process documentation to project communications is clear and concise. Ideally, you have experience drafting or assisting with disclosures, sustainability reports, TCFD reports, and more.
- The dedication. You are purpose-driven with a desire to change the global trajectory when it comes to climate and deeply committed to our mission. You are genuinely excited to apply your talents in building our brand and expanding the list of clients we serve. New ideas and new technology interest you. The willingness to persevere despite obstacles, the confidence to try and fail, and the humility to learn, grow and adapt describe you.
- The collaborative approach. You have the high degree of emotional intelligence and curiosity necessary to thrive in our self-managing environment. You embrace diverse perspectives and excel at building relationships. You are happy to jump in wherever and whenever needed.
Evolve, improve, and thrive with us
Our purpose drives everything: shine a light on climate-related risks and opportunities and advance strategies to thrive. Our unified belief in this purpose drives our culture, the calibre of talent we attract, our work ethic, resolve, and determination.
Our values include a relentless focus on customers, making things simple and useful, and creating thriving ecosystems. We have other values too, but they're table stakes: transparency, integrity, authenticity, fairness, wholeness, open, honest communication, agility, balance, self-management, and autonomy. In short, we want to build an amazing place to work where every team member is empowered, supported, and energized.
We expect to make some mistakes along our journey, but that's all part of finding our way. We're here to learn and grow together - to build a fantastic company that makes a difference, and hopefully, has a legacy that lasts forever.
We are always on the lookout for committed and passionate climate-change professionals interested in contributing their talents in a challenging, energetic, and inter-disciplinary environment. If you feel you meet 70% of the qualifications we are looking for and are determined to make a difference, we encourage you to apply. We promise to consider your application fully.
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities where we live and work. We encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.