APOLLO is a digital insurance company. Our platform, the APOLLO Exchange, launched in 2019 and now offers the largest selection of online insurance for small businesses in Canada. We recently launched renters insurance and continue to rapidly expand our product offering. The Exchange reduces what can commonly be a painful weeks-long process of back and forth into simple and immediate digital fulfillment. Five minutes is all it takes to get covered, 24/7, from anywhere and any device.
APOLLO is a team of empowered and driven individuals who live our core values of Candor, Integrity, Adventure, Desire and Courage every day. Being a part of APOLLO offers a chance for the right applicant to make a name for themselves, and help build APOLLO as a leader on the forefront of the digital innovation of a global, $5 trillion dollar industry.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you’ll be working closely with the Senior Director of Data, the Engineering team, Project/Product Managers and also with business stakeholders. You’re the kind of person who likes challenging, technical work, and your favorite parts of the day are getting down to designing solutions and coding them up. But you’re also great at interacting with stakeholders, including those in teams that are more business-focused and less technical than yours. This role will cover predominantly data engineering, but there will be a request for a report or an ad-hoc query here and there. Working in a small but growing analytics team in a startup, you’ll sometimes need to wear more than one hat, but you enjoy doing that every now and then.
You’ll also be working with impressively clean data, great stakeholders, leading edge tools such as Snowflake, Metabase, and Prefect. This is a great opportunity to get on board with a fast-growing company where you can make big contributions to its success.
- Create and maintain data pipelines from various source systems to the data warehouse
- Create and maintain data architecture within the warehouse (views, tables, ad-hoc queries) and BI tool (semantic layer, queries)
- Build and grow a suite of data quality monitoring checks as well as alerts using SQL, Python, and a scheduling system
- Connect regularly with the Product Engineers to stay on top of Apollo’s applications as they change, and ensure data from these apps is always interpreted correctly in our analytics
- Build new reports and dashboards, and perform occasional ad-hoc analysis for partner teams like Business Development, FP&A, and others
- Help to maintain the APOLLO data dictionary to ensure you, the technology team, and all stakeholders have a clear understanding of what all the various metrics in the business mean and how they’re made
- Other duties as required
Skills & Qualifications:
- 5+ years experience in data analysis and/or data engineering
- Experience being accountable for mission-critical data pipelines and reports
- Bachelor’s degree or greater in a field involving computer science and/or quantitative analysis such as Economics, Mathematics, Sciences, Engineering, or other
- Strong business acumen
- Genuine curiosity about how every business unit works and how to help them succeed
- Strong skill and working experience in Python and SQL
- Experience working with one more BI tools such as Metabase, Looker, Tableau, PowerBI, or similar
- Previous experience working with a workflow automation system such as Prefect, Airflow, or Dagster is a plus
- Previous experience working with the AWS platform and boto3 is a plus
- Happy to occasionally take on work typically done by an Analyst role
- Excellent understanding of data governance, and the sheer willpower to always document new or changed data definitions, because you know it’s the smart thing to do, even though you’d rather be coding
- Familiarity with a wide variety of complex data structures and formats
APOLLO believes in a team approach where all members have equal opportunity to voice ideas to advance the agenda of the Company and its clients. Working well in a team, taking initiative, and possessing a desire for greatness is important. Must have excellent communication skills and an ability to collaborate effectively to move the best ideas forward.
Benefits & Perks:
Professional development & licensing support
Monthly Social Club Events
Unlimited vacation (yes, unlimited paid time off!)
Medical, Dental and Vision benefits - premiums covered by APOLLO!
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Monthly Wellness program - $100 monthly for well-being activities
Digital first & work from home flexibility
Central Gastown office in Vancouver just blocks from the seabus terminal open to all employees!