Who We Are & Where We Are Going
Semaphore is the leading global provider of software solutions for high-throughput and high-complexity molecular diagnostic laboratories. Our clients are pushing the limits of genetic sequencing and other molecular diagnostic technologies to fight cancer, increase diagnostic accuracy, and improve health outcomes for the general population. We are extremely proud of our contribution to the Covid-19 pandemic response, which enabled our clients to increase critical high-volume testing capacity in their geographical areas.
Semaphore’s culture is about putting people first. We strive to create an environment where individuals feel a connection to our mission, each other, and the community. We provide our staff with genuine support for their well-being and enable their best work through autonomy, flexibility, and continuous learning.
In addition to our expanding business providing expert software services, Semaphore has embarked on an exciting new phase. Our team is building Labbit, the intelligent Laboratory System of the future. Our platform provides key infrastructure to clinical genomic laboratories that will enable them to realize the full potential of genomic science. This innovative product will help advance diagnostics and therapies, resulting in improved health outcomes across the globe. We are looking to grow our team with people fascinated by the intersection of software and life sciences and want to be part of a purpose-driven team impacting how science informs human health.
About the Opportunity
In this role, you will lead our Platform Services team for our product, Labbit, and report directly to the Head of Product Development. The Platform Services team works closely with the cloud architecture and is responsible for understanding how infrastructure impacts the solutions our team builds. Your contribution cannot be understated, as your team builds the core platform services within the product environment that peer teams work from. As our system is complex and comprised of a number of services, you will need to grasp the big-picture of how the components of the system work together and apply this understanding to enable continued product development.
As a team lead, you will be accountable for ensuring the team’s alignment with the product roadmap, delivery of team milestones and the plan to get there. You will also be responsible for prioritizing the team’s technical work. A critical piece of your role will be providing guidance to the team and actively mentoring team members to enable opportunities for growth. You will also participate in functional demos and quarterly planning with the broader Labbit team and provide updates on the team's progress. You will have an opportunity to leverage your software development skills to learn about our product and systems and take on additional team lead responsibilities as the team grows.
Success in this role requires you to have a strong technical foundation of skills coupled with soft skills that will enable you to mentor, support and lead others. You will leverage your interpersonal skills to drive collaboration and consensus. You bring an ability to provide clear and concise feedback to enable the growth and development of others. Because we work in a complex and highly regulated domain, it is critical that you are comfortable asking questions and seeking clarification when needed. You will be working alongside developers with a variety of experience and unique expertise who you can lean on and learn from as you ramp into the team lead role.
- 7+ years of professional experience with full-stack web application development using modern frameworks. Experience with at least one of the following technologies qualifies
- Server development: Java, Nodejs, Python, Go, Elixir
- Experience leading developers and participating in their growth and development
- A level of technical competency that enables the mentorship of peer or junior developers
- Ability to leverage professional communication to interact with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to effectively manage time to ensure accurate and timely information is being shared to drive team success
- Experience participating in proactive issue resolution, specifically the ability to suggest solutions when team members are faced with technical challenges
- Ability to participate in on-call rotations
Nice to Haves
- Experience with modern front-end development frameworks
- Experience working in a product environment or health sciences domain
What to Expect
Within One Month
- You’ll ramp up on your team’s technology stack by collaborating with your peers.
- You’ll learn Semaphore’s software processes, code standards, key milestones, and configuration requirements.
- You’ll become comfortable with our collaboration tools (Slack, Github, Jira, GSuite, and Confluence).
- You’ll learn how it all works within Semaphore: the team roles, the interactions, the metrics, the processes.
- You’ll learn how the platform operates and how the cloud infrastructure supports it.
Within Three Months
- You’ll know the capabilities of your team members, and trust them to get their jobs done.
- You’ll have participated in team lead responsibilities, including but not limited to 1-1’s, quarterly planning and demos
- You’ll be fully ramped up on the tech stack, tools, metrics, and the team will be benefiting from your valued contribution and input in code reviews.
- You’ll become familiar with domain terminologies and processes.
- You’ll have collaborated with teams working across the product to support how the application performs, as well as how it works.
- You’ll be comfortable applying your unique technical and personal expertise gained from previous companies and projects.
- You'll have celebrated at least one company milestone at Semaphore, and you’ll have started contributing to company culture feeding your own unique flavour into it.
Six Months and beyond
- You’ll feel comfortable with the tech stack, and you’ll understand the communication patterns and common pitfalls when working within the product environment.
- You'll have identified areas in which you’d like to grow, and will have our support in doing so.
- You’ll have led your team to understand the product roadmap and leverage your experience to support the launch of new features
- You will shape your team’s future product roadmap in coordination with the product organization as well as the sales organization (define the how for your team’s work items based on business roadmap, stack ranking, feasibility, provide feedback, etc)
- You’ll take feedback from peers and identify your career path and how Semaphore fits in it.
- You’ll understand Semaphore’s vision, and feel comfortable contributing your ideas that improve your team and the overall company.