Hungry for a challenge?
That’s good, because at SkipTheDishes, part of Just Eat Takeaway.com (JET), we have abundant opportunity or as we say, everything is on the table. We are a leading global online food delivery marketplace. Our tech ecosystem connects millions of active customers with hundreds of thousands of connected partners in countries across the globe.
As a Senior Front-End Engineer at Skip, you will play a pivotal role in translating design concepts into functional user interfaces, working closely with engineers, designers, and product teams. This position emphasizes collaborative teamwork, involving code reviews, ceremonies, and ticket completion, with the expectation of our senior roles focusing on more than solely coding. Additionally, you will be responsible for creating thorough and detailed documentation to support the development process. As a senior engineer, you will mentor juniors, actively participate and lead cross-team projects, and contribute within our Canada-wide Front-End community. Success in this senior role hinges on your ability to build strong relationships within the team, effective mentoring, and consistent execution of core responsibilities, including code reviews, UI implementation, and comprehensive documentation. Proficiency is required in TypeScript, React state management tools, React styled-components, GraphQL with Apollo Server, and agile CI/CD processes. In particular, a deeper expertise in GraphQL is desired for senior-level candidates.
How We Work:
- We take ownership of our work and work closely with our team.
- We move quickly, take risks, and know how to manage the risks.
- Regularly refactoring to improve our existing systems — technical debt isn’t an excuse.
- Unit tests and code reviews are at our core — confidence in our pull request is the result.
- We constantly push our app’s technology, design, and architecture forward to meet new challenges.
- We face challenges no one can predict — we meet them head-on as a team.
- When we have an idea that serves a need, we run with it.
- Our teams are kept tight and efficient.
- We hold ourselves to the highest operational standards - availability, scalability and security.
Recipe for Success:
- Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining React.js or React Native apps.
- Experience building large scale responsive web applications.
- Mastery of HTML5 and CSS3.
- Solid understanding of ES6, JSX, and Node.
- Solid knowledge of React, TSX and Hooks.
- Solid understanding of Redux and its patterns.
- Solid understanding of TypeScript.
- Solid understanding of GraphQL basics (queries, mutations, schemas, …).
- Strong software engineering fundamentals. This includes data structures, design patterns, testing, and debugging.
- Deep familiarity with debugging, performance measurement, and test-driven development.
- Solid understanding of REST principles and exposure to backend APIs.
- Solid understanding of Version Control (Git) and related tools such as Github and Bitbucket.
- Experience with agile processes (continuous development, delivery, and improvement).
- Familiarity with CI/CD best practices and tools such as Jenkins.
- Understanding of SASS/SCSS, CSS-in-JS or Styled Components.
- Experience with frontend Development tools such as Webpack, Babel, Yarn, etc…
- Ability to deliver the best patterns and practices to solutions in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Experience with React styled-components
- Experience or familiarity with Functional Programming concepts.
- Experience with Cypress E2E Testing.
- Knowledge of Data Lakes and BigQuery
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Understanding of Websockets.
What’s It's Like To Work At Skip:
Skip is the kind of workplace that garnered a “Top Places to Work in Manitoba” and it was no small coincidence. We set out to make this a place our employees are proud to tell their family, friends and anyone who will listen that they work here. Skip team members feel pride knowing their input and uniqueness are not only embraced but make an impact on a major Canadian company and its satisfied customers. As the company grows, so do you — you meet and surpass new challenges every day.
That’s just a small taste of what it’s like to work at one of Canada’s leading tech companies. If you’re hungry for opportunity, growth, and something meaningful in a dynamic, fun and challenging environment, we’d love to hear from you.
SkipTheDishes is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Boxes are for pizza, not people. So however you identify and whoever you love, you are free to be you at Skip. We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment where all employees feel they truly belong and where everyone is included, seen, heard and respected.
In keeping with our values, all applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of: gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, marital/domestic partner status, (dis)ability, neurodivergence, or any other characteristic protected by law. Should you require any accommodations throughout the hiring process, we encourage you to reach out to your talent acquisition specialist.
Note: All employees will be asked to sign a Consent for Disclosure of Personal Information in order to complete a background check. Job offers will be conditional upon results that the Company determines to be satisfactory.