Senior Software Developer
AltaMLCalgary, Toronto7 days ago
“If you’re passionate about leading teams to solve difficult technical challenges with novel approaches, the Senior Software Developer position at AltaML is an amazing opportunity. I’m constantly amazed by the amount of ML product opportunities in the market, and AltaML’s deep technical expertise, strong partnerships, and amazing culture put it in a unique position to tackle the biggest and best opportunities across a range of industries. If this sounds exciting to you, we’d love to speak with you!” - Taylor Arnett, Director, Software Development
As a Senior Software Developer, you play a crucial role in planning, developing and shipping new software products that use machine learning techniques. Reporting directly to the Director of Software Development, this hands-on role will lead the execution of bringing brand new products to market. This dynamic position will expose you to various industries, highly specialized technical experts, and will build your skillset in developing and shipping cutting edge technology products.
What you’ll do:
- Own the implementation of low-latency, high-availability, and performant software applications
- Iterate rapidly on features and processes as products are launched
- Shape processes to help the team do its best work
- Code review and provide technical mentorship to your team
What you bring:
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks including, but not limited to: Python web frameworks (FastAPI, Django, or similar), SPA frameworks (Angular, Vue.js, React, or similar), cloud services (AWS or similar), and Kubernetes (or similar)
- Experience designing and building consumer-grade products
- A strong balance of hands-on development, architecture knowledge and production support
- Entrepreneurial mindset and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
Our core values speak volumes about who we are and how we work:
- Humble – Listen to the data
- Happy – Tap-dance to work
- Gritty – Be persistent, not complacent
- Agile – Make small bets, then iterate
Our current and future employees:
- Express our core values
- Are hungry for knowledge
- Want to learn new skills
- Are respectful
- Collaborate with others across the whole company
- Share knowledge with coworkers
- Educate and promote AI and ML concepts both internally and externally
- Have a high work ethic and are self-motivated
About our Company:
AltaML is a fast-growing startup that focuses on applied Machine Learning (ML). We see AI as the next step forward in unlocking the best in all industries - and people. We are experts in ML commercialization and help our industrial partners gain a competitive advantage by combining their data and domain expertise with our analytics and ML proficiency. Data informs our every move, and we aim to work quickly, collaboratively, and creatively. We have offices in Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto.
AltaML works with progressive partners in industries such as Health, Financial Services and Natural Resources. Sure, we are a tech company, so we offer a well-stocked kitchen including good coffee, sparkling water, and snacks. We are an office filled with foodies and enjoy experiencing different flavours from around the world. We also offer Welcome Lunches, Friday Socials, hot sauce tastings and so much more!
Data informs our every move, and we aim to work quickly, collaboratively, and creatively.
What you’ll get:
You will be working in a high-paced environment that focuses on creating unique ML solutions to problems within a number of different industries to generate impactful value.
You will be working at a company with employees who have multiple years of industrial and academic experience in data science, software engineering, product management, and machine learning fields. To solve the problems we apply various ML techniques from traditional Machine Learning and Data Mining algorithms, through to vision, Deep Learning, Information Extraction, advanced NLP and conversational agents.
You will be able to experience a collaborative company culture, which means we believe in working hard, getting the job done, and enjoying the group social on Fridays. You’ll also get flexibility in where you work, what hours you work, how much vacation you take, and what you wear. We expect hard work but respect work/life balance.
So, however you identify and whatever background and experiences you bring, please apply if this is a role that would make you “tap dance to work” every day. We would love to add your biological uniqueness to our own! :-)
You will be required to undergo the following checks during the hiring process: