We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager who is great at developing engineering goals and strategies, mentoring and growing engineers, and has a passion for expanding our platform to mobilize hundreds of millions of people to take deeper civic action.
You will be based in Vancouver (remote) and report to our Director of Engineering in our Victoria, Canada office. Our team of 18+ Engineers is responsible for designing and building the major core features and systems that drive petitions impact to reach victories. Our users are petition supporters who sign, share and contribute financially to spread and increase awareness of each cause.
As a key member of our Supporters Team, you’ll
- Hire engineers and grow the skillset of the engineering team
- Add input to and implement the Engineering strategy of our team with the Director of Engineering and other Engineering Managers.
- Manage multiple teams / squads, up to 8 direct reports at various seniority levels (from junior to Senior Staff)
- Drive the delivery of impactful products
The most important skills and capabilities for the role are:
- Strategy and vision: Ability to articulate engineering goals and develop supporting strategies in order to achieve high quality results. Able to anticipate operational needs and risks, and craft appropriate roadmaps at the team level
- Management: Ability to hire and define quarterly objectives, coach, mentor and grow engineers, define team organization. Ability to foster a high performance and impact oriented culture while keeping a sustainable pace and high team morale
- Planning and execution: Ability to devise a roadmap, mitigating risks and considering tradeoffs, so that you can execute in a timely manner and with quality, or change directions as needed. You will be in charge of defining your team OKRs and weekly goals
- Coding/architecture skills: Proficiency with different technologies, languages and frameworks in all layers of the web stack, from frontend to backend. Experience with architecture at scale
- Experience developing software for the cloud. Knowledge of AWS, CI/CD, test driven development
- BONUS: Experience with either: Rails, Elixir, Java on the back end, either React, Angular, Ember on the front end
- 8+ years of software engineering experience
- 5+ years of direct management experience, leading multiple teams and Engineering initiatives.
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full-time position, and while we do strongly prefer folks living in Victoria, we are open to folks in Vancouver, Seattle, or Portland as the role will be remote for the foreseeable future. Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture to be part of.
Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city. The annual salary of a Senior Engineering Manager would be $177,000 CAD in Vancouver and $172,000 CAD in Victoria.
We anticipate moving very quickly and our evaluation process is:
- 45 minute interview with our Recruiter
- 90 minute interview with our Director of Engineering
- 3 hour virtual onsite
- 45 minute interview with our CTO
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who is excited to contribute in that regard.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. Everyone says this, right? Well, we mean it - we invest in serious programs to bring in and support women and people of color, we have in-person onboarding experiences and affinity groups to help everyone feel included, we regularly celebrate the heritage of all staff, and we believe strongly in consistent, fair, and transparent salary scales to help level the playing field. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.