Senior Systems Administrator
Who we are
R-LABS (“Our Labs”) is a partnership of innovative corporations and game-changing entrepreneurs focused exclusively on problems in real estate and housing. Through our proprietary venture building platform, R-LABS co-creates and helps cultivate companies with new business models, to generate a positive impact on the community and build considerable value. R-LABS = Return on Society + Return on Investment.
The only one of our kind, R-LABS is the real estate industry’s venture-builder. Innovation is a crucial part of our operation, and is central to our ecosystem focused on making a sustainable high impact. We are a start-up factory, launching and supporting fast-moving companies that benefit from our expertise, networks, funding and leadership. Real estate and housing are essential to everyone, but have complicated challenges that require innovative action. We draw upon granular insights and deep knowledge to address the many interrelated industry problems to bring about transformative change.
We’re looking for self-starters, critical thinkers and initiative takers to join our dynamic team of leaders. Innovation is in our DNA. If it’s in yours, join us in making a difference in the way great companies are built and major problems in real estate and housing are solved.
Who you are
As our new Senior Systems Administrator, you will be the primary point of contact, responding to Cloud, hardware, software, and local infrastructure issues that arise. You will support the setup, administration and maintenance of hardware and software for our teams, for both PC and Mac, and virtual tenants, both Microsoft and Google. In addition, you will provide help desk assistance and on-prem management and support for our facilities, including our meeting spaces, local network/Internet, and other office equipment.
What’s in it for you
Autonomy and ownership. At R-LABS, we’re providing the framework and the connections that nurture an entrepreneurial environment for innovators to explore and uncover the solutions the industry needs. This is an opportunity to be part of a company with a flat hierarchy as the key point of contact for systems administration and support for multiple startup ventures using a wide range of technologies as they set up shop.
Impact and empowerment. We live by the mantra, “Batteries included.” To us, that means our people don’t just point out the problems or grind to a halt when they make mistakes, it means we push harder, go further, and come up with the solution. This is a place where your authentic self, your voice, and your ideas are welcomed. As our Senior Systems Administrator, you will have the opportunity to introduce best practices, recommend tools and processes, and make a mark on how we administer, optimize, and support our on-prem and virtual tools and technologies.
Exposure and opportunity. We are a purpose-driven company, building great companies that are improving the future in real estate and housing. You will work alongside the lean R-LABS team and our ventures, gaining insights into various business operations and growing your ownership of our systems. With a tremendous number of problem domains being addressed by our companies, if you are truly passionate about the innovation happening around you within our ventures, we will support your growth in that direction.
You will focus on:
- Support. You will be the point of contact for technical requests, providing help desk support for the LAB and our ventures, managing urgent requests, and maintaining transparent communication. You will troubleshoot and conduct independent research and testing to determine the root cause and apply a rapid resolution. You will participate in the on-call escalation chain as well as off-hour maintenance.
- On-prem infrastructure. You will secure, deploy, monitor and maintain our Cloud/SaaS platforms, on-premise infrastructure, and office facilities. You will configure and deploy laptop and desktop equipment
- System management. You will maintain business continuity infrastructure and data recovery systems. You will coordinate with the Head of Technology on system changes and implementations.
- Documentation. You will assist in developing and maintaining the IT policy for the organisation. You will produce well written technical documentation.
- Quality assurance. You will monitor system performance to ensure that it meets business requirements, identifying potential issues before they become problems and recommending solutions. You will coordinate with vendors and other internal teams to ensure that any issues are quickly resolved.
- Collaboration. You will play a critical role in the technical setup for new ventures moving into and out of our physical space and virtual operations umbrella.
You will bring:
- The technical expertise. You have progressive experience supporting teams at different-sized organizations, including enterprise companies. You have worked with a wide range of tools and technologies, including hardware and software, as well as Microsoft 365 Enterprise, Microsoft Azure, Google Workspace, PC, Mac, enterprise device management, and networking. You are familiar with best practices in systems administration, security and support.
- The ownership. You hold yourself highly accountable for the impact of your work and decisions. You can balance multiple deliverables, prioritizing and responding with urgency and patience. You embrace continuous change and exhibit the adaptability to work within realistic yet demanding deadlines. You have a winning attitude and can seamlessly adapt to changes in timelines, tools, and the business.
- The interpersonal skills. You can build trusting relationships and have a proven ability to thrive in an ambiguous role at a fast-paced company. You have exceptional communication skills and can make inferences, ask questions, and draw out explanations to understand issues as described by nontechnical people. You can translate technical concepts for general audiences.
At R-LABS, we believe that the best way to predict the future is to help create it. We work alongside leading entrepreneurs and innovators to identify problems in real estate and co-create purpose-driven companies. Through the science of company building and our venture building platform, we’re developing transformative solutions and driving meaningful change through the real estate and housing industry.
We build and cultivate start-ups, drawing upon years of industry expertise and leadership. We know how to develop successful companies, how to thrive in this space, and how to nurture growth and success not just of our ventures - but of our people.
If we bring you into the fold, you’ll have our trust and our support. You will be mentored and have the autonomy to make great things happen. We know mistakes will happen - to us that’s a sign of true creativity. The ability to rapidly recover, learn, and apply, is what we love about the entrepreneurial culture we foster here.
When you become a Labber, we’ll help you discover your strengths, the problems you’re most passionate about, and what role you will play in real estate innovation and building a better future. We know that when we combine our skills and knowledge, we can create exceptional purpose-driven ventures that positively impact the world around us. There is much good work to be done together.
Our unique approach to venture building takes the right kind of mindset. We believe that a positive outlook, gratitude, and courage are the foundation for genuine partnerships and the key to changing the world for the better. If you share our values - Integrity, Appreciation, Collaboration, and Innovation, we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity, equity and inclusion are more than words and obligations at R-LABS. We are committed to going further, integrating these values into the way we work, who we work with, and above all, how we treat each other from our very first interaction. We welcome and appreciate candidates with a range of backgrounds and experiences, including women, persons with disabilities, Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC), the LGBTQ2SIA+ community, and other equity-seeking groups.
If you have 70% of the qualifications we are looking for, express your interest here. Please let us know what accommodations or assistance we can provide you during the application process.
What you can expect from our 3-step interview process:
- A phone interview discussing your interest in the role, the team’s culture and how you will make an impact as the Senior Systems Administrator.
- An interview with the Head of Technology (the Hiring Manager) to talk further about your technical knowledge, including best practices and skills. It is an opportunity for you to get to know the manager you would be working for.
- A final interview with members of the team. This will give you an opportunity to meet some of your future team members as well as an opportunity for us to answer all of your questions on why it is awesome working at R-LABS.
You can learn more about our ventures, our partners, and our teams here.