Senior Technical Specialist
Senior Technical Specialist
The University of Manitoba is a driving force of innovation, discovery and advancement. Our momentum is propelled by our campus community – UM faculty, staff and students whose determination and curiosity shape our world for the better. Our teaching, learning and work environment is uniquely strengthened and enriched by Indigenous perspectives. With two main campuses in Winnipeg, satellite campuses throughout Manitoba, and world-wide research, UM’s impact is global.
Discover outstanding employee benefits, experience world-class facilities and join a dynamic community that values reconciliation, sustainability, diversity, and inclusion. We are one of Manitoba’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. At the University of Manitoba, what inspires you can change everything.
Reporting to the Manager of Application Maintenance, the Senior Technical Specialist is primarily responsible for the analysis, design, development testing and implementation of new and/or modified solutions for clients. The incumbent also provides maintenance and support to existing systems, conducts quality assurance/quality improvement activities, and acts as a consultant/resource to clients and other IST staff. The area of focus for this position is: Enterprise Applications Development
The qualifications and experience we’re looking for:
- Bachelor's degree or a Community College Diploma in a directly related discipline required.
- Minimum six years' experience working in analysis, design, development, maintenance and support, with enterprise level systems within a large business environment is required.
- Must have experience managing small project utilizing standard Project Management processes and procedures along with experience with Waterfall and Agile project delivery.
- Must have experience supervising/leading software development teams (e.g.: Scrum/Team Lead).
- Must have experience with Agile software development practices and utilizing industry standard tools (e.g.: JIRA).
- Must have experience with Linux, Bash, GNU Core Utilities.
- Must have experience in implementing and utilizing DevOps for CD/CI using industry standard tools (e.g.: Git, Jenkins).
- Must have experience in implementing automated monitoring processes.
- Must have software development experience with Python.
- Must have software development experience with SQL and their extensions (i.e. PL/SQL or Transact-SQL).
- Must have software development experience creating and maintaining web services.
- Must have software development experience with common web development technologies HTML, CSS, XML, JSON, HTTP, SQL, and other related technologies.
- Must have experience with test driven development (TDD), creating/executing test script and test plans.
- Must have experience with automated testing software.
- Familiarity with SharePoint and Office 365 Power Automate, Power Apps would be an asset.
- Familiarity with creating and maintaining web services would be an asset.
- Familiarity with Java/J2EE would be an asset.
- Familiarity with Office 365 Flow would be an asset.
- Familiarity with Drupal would be an asset.
- Familiarity with cloud computing such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform or Microsoft Azure would be an asset.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must be self-motivated and possess excellent problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills to diagnose and resolve complex systems issues is required.
- Demonstrated teamwork/collaboration skills required.
- Proven technical aptitude with ability to learn new systems quickly required.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with users of varying levels of technical expertise is required.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and schedule complex projects and tasks is essential.
- Ability to coach and mentor junior staff is required.
- Ability to develop strong interpersonal working relationships required.
- Ability to act as a consultant to clients and other staff members is essential.
- Involvement with local IT user communities would be an asset.
- Knowledge of ITIL fundamentals would be an asset.
- Satisfactory work record, including satisfactory attendance and punctuality, is required.
- Must be available to work occasional overtime as required.
Why the University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
- Comprehensive group benefits and pension plan.
- Competitive vacation time.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Apply today through the University of Manitoba’s recruitment site, UM Careers: https://viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=26336
Closing Date: May 1, 2023
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
The University of Manitoba is committed to the principles of equity, diversity & inclusion and to promoting opportunities in hiring, promotion and tenure (where applicable) for systemically marginalized groups who have been excluded from full participation at the University and the larger community including Indigenous Peoples, women, racialized persons, persons with disabilities and those who identify as 2SLGBTQIA+ (Two Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, questioning, intersex, asexual and other diverse sexual identities).
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact UM.Accommodation@umanitoba.ca or 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.