Senior User Experience Designer
Who are we
Business software doesn’t need to be dull and boring.
At Archon, designing beautiful software is the core of what we do. We care a lot about the experience, the design craftsmanship and the tiniest details that go into what we make.
We are a rapidly growing startup helping small businesses outcompete the giants; we improve their inventory management (an underappreciated problem!) with our powerful yet easy-to-use software and hardware.
We’ve been stable, bootstrapped and successful since 2007. We started by dominating the desktop inventory software market with over a million downloads, and transitioned to the cloud and mobile since 2017, opening up new technological possibilities and accelerating our business growth.
We do our absolute best to show respect and compassion to customers, employees, and job applicants, and people tell us that Archon is an amazing place to work. You can of course check us out on Glassdoor, our website, or what to expect when applying for a job.
We’ve got an amazing group of talented and friendly people here, and we’re looking for world-class talent, like you, to join us!
Hybrid work - one day/week in the office
We know that in the software industry, you can get most of your day-to-day work done outside of an office. We value the freedom and flexibility that comes from being able to work from home; in fact, we’ve been pioneers in mostly-working-from-home for over a decade, waaaay before it was cool.
We also believe that it’s important to be able to build real human connections (dare I say, friendships?) with your co-workers, and that there’s no substitute for in-person bonding time for this. These connections (friendships?) build trust and encourage open and honest conversations; they’re good for business AND good for well-being.
That’s why we will be requiring that employees work one day per week (typically) in our beautiful Toronto office, with this in-person time focused on team gatherings, monthly free lunches, and other activities that are best done in-person. Other days, you’re free to work from home, the office, or any productive environment.
Some of our job benefits
- Health and dental benefits
- Top-notch computers. We hate slow computers too!
- $500 fitness benefit (for gym memberships, bicycles, FitBit, etc.)
- Subsidized internet and phone plans
- Make a difference: you'll be the 54th member of our tight-knit team
As one of two UX/UI designers, you’ll have a big impact on how our product works and feels. You will lead design projects across our software platforms: web, Android, and iOS. You will be responsible for conducting user/competitive research, defining task flows and data hierarchy, and designing wireframes through to high-fidelity UI mock-ups. You will work closely with our developers, product managers, and QA to ensure successful implementation of the design.
What you’d do
- Design UX/UI for our cloud software across web, Android, and iOS
- Conduct user/competitive research to prioritize features and requirements
- Define user tasks flows and data hierarchy
- Create storyboards, sitemaps, screen flows, wireframes and mock-ups
- Develop rapid prototypes along with developers
- Verify design assumptions through user testing
- Initiate your own ideas and projects to help us grow
What we need from you
- 3+ years experience designing software product UX/UI.
- User-focused. You have a deep understanding and appreciation of the process of identifying users’ needs and solving their problems with functional and elegant design.
- Working experience creating screen flows, interaction models, responsive layout and UI elements.
- Excellent sense of visual aesthetics (colour, typography, spacing, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability and comfort with industry-standard design and prototyping software.
- Analytical. You are able to weigh the pros and cons and cost and benefits of different design solutions, backed by research and data.
- An awesome portfolio showcasing your previous designs and processes.
Nice to have (but not necessary)
- Experience with Figma, Zeplin
- Experience designing for Android, iOS and/or React Native
- Some HTML/CSS
Other stuff we’d be happy to hear about
- Experience with business systems (accounting, inventory, CRM, etc.)
- Close experience with small-to-midsize businesses
- Experience in agency or start-up environments
- Cool hobbies like horseback riding or baking bread
What are you waiting for? To apply, go here now:
What you can expect when applying for a job at Archon
At Archon, we celebrate diversity as an equal opportunity employer. We hire people based on what they can contribute and we provide equal pay for equal work.