Job Type: Permanent, Full-time Position
Job Code: SW
Location: Hybrid Remote - Mount Pleasant, Vancouver (PST Preferred)
MistyWest is a hardware engineering consultancy that exists to create novel technologies that enable a healthier planet and bring prosperity to all humankind, with a focus primarily on hardware projects that advance the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
About the Role
At MistyWest, our Software Engineer designs and implements our backend systems to integrate smart connected devices with cloud services. We are looking for an intermediate talent to drive the delivery of innovative cloud solutions for our world-class clientele.
You not only deliver top-quality software and server-side solutions as a skilled programmer yourself, but inspire your team to do their best work through passion, integrity and consistency. You employ an Agile mindset while managing software development, with proven experience developing diverse products for unique IoT hardware applications.
You will work closely with a multidisciplinary team of project managers, technical leads, engineers, and designers to complete both software product development and research tasks in a variety of industries and market segments such as biotechnology, sport and wearables, smart home, agritech, and more.
MistyWest develops products in many innovative and unproven applications, so you must be obsessed with learning new skills and technology as well as highly comfortable with ambiguity and the unknown. You are used to working with diverse product development teams and are a great communicator. You thrive in virtual collaborative environments and look forward to attending our offices in beautiful Mount Pleasant, Vancouver, at least four times per year for various team events.
Candidates matching most of the following skills are encouraged to apply. If you are missing some requirements, you may still be considered. Please highlight any missing requirements in your cover letter and explain how you would address or overcome that challenge.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent diplomas or certificates
- At least three years of previous work experience in IoT/Cloud development in a hardware or product design environment
- Previous work experience with configuring cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure and GCP
- Experience with containerizing, deploying, and configuring applications through cloud platforms (Docker & Azure IoT Edge, etc)
- Intermediate to advanced Cloud development for Deployment as Code, Security, Certificates, Monitoring, Provisioning, Architecture, and client/server development
- Application-level software development experience and a solid understanding of software design principles (creating software architectures, design patterns, unit/integration testing, CI)
- Experience conducting software code reviews and managing revision control (Git, etc.)
- Familiarity with linux and developing for embedded linux devices
- Valid passport and the ability to travel to Vancouver a few times a year
- If remote, availability for a minimum of 4 hours PST each weekday for meetings, collaboration, etc.
Nice-To-Have Qualifications (in order of preference)
- Experience working in a client facing role or at an engineering consultancy
- Previous experience taking charge of product delivery for software or multidisciplinary engineering teams
- Python, C++, C# (in order of preference)
- Previous experience developing with web app frameworks (eg Flask)
- Advanced embedded linux skills and networking knowledge (drivers, system services, device connectivity and embedded device troubleshooting)
- Multidisciplinary (firmware or electrical engineering experience)
- Graphical user interface (GUI) development
- Proven ability to function independently with little supervision as well as working effectively in a remote team environment
Compensation for this role will be commensurate with experience and the degree to which the candidate fulfills the various requirements of the role.
Total Cash Compensation for this role will land in the range of $90,658- $114,649 including banked time, profit sharing and equity-based compensation.
In addition to our competitive base salaries, MistyWest offers a dynamic salary based on profit sharing, equity, banked time and benefits, which is a bit different from conventional compensation programs. We also work a 37.5 hour work week, to encourage healthy work-life integration.
Benefits & Perks
- 37.5 hour workweek and flexible weekly allocation
- Banked time: MistyWest compensates our salaried staff for all overtime hours worked
- 4 weeks paid vacation, 5 sick days and 3 Pro D days annually
- Flexible work schedule & opportunity to telecommute when not needed at HQ
- Generous parental (18 weeks at full pay) and compassionate care leave (up to 2 weeks fully paid)
- Comprehensive medical, dental & vision plan from Sun Life (including psychology and clinical counselling benefits)
- Flexible Health Spending account starting at $250, with $100 added every year after one continuous year of employment
- $1000 discretionary Professional Development budget per annum
- Access to full laboratory and workshop for personal projects
- Well-stocked corporate library & access to complimentary online learning subscriptions (Skillshare, etc)
- Opportunities to travel to professional conferences like CES, SXSW, SIGGRAPH, and more
- Complimentary staff events like ski trips, parties, shared meals, and community even
- Working in an attractive, bright, open-plan, dog-friendly office in Mount Pleasant, with complimentary snacks and espresso!
How to Apply
Please apply through the application form on the job posting page. Be sure to include your resume, git/personal website, and a picture of a baby animal in a hat.
Applicants without this will not be considered.
MistyWest is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are actively working to reduce and eliminate barriers to entry for traditionally marginalized groups and individuals.
Code of Conduct
All Westies, as well as our clients, contractors, vendors, partners and community are asked to read and align their behaviors to our Code of Conduct. You can read more about that here.
Have a question about our hiring or recruitment practices? Ask us!