Join a purpose-driven Canadian tech company, working remotely with a collaborative Agile team.
As our new Software Developer, you will have the autonomy to choose projects and initiatives that interest and challenge you. This is a chance to continuously challenge yourself, absorb new information, and see the impact your technical work is making on the community and the healthcare industry.
Our roadmap currently includes the chance to:
- Develop APIs to allow integration with different medical records systems.
- Enhance our patient messaging functionality to help promote more effective, ongoing medical care.
- Create new eRequisition and eOrdering functionality to be roles out to a network of medical labs across the province
- Enhance eReferral features to expand nation-wide.
- Optimize the Ocean platform to operate at scale across thousands of doctors offices and hospital clinics.
- Optimize and scale security because confidential medical information is a top priority.
Join us as we change healthcare for the better.
Ocean by CognisantMD is the leading provider of EMR-integrated Patient Engagement and eReferral tools in Canada, playing a critical role in millions of patient visits and thousands of referrals every week. Our digital healthcare solutions empower patients and physicians to overcome the barriers preventing the timely delivery of healthcare services. By replacing paper forms with digital tools we give patients and providers secure ways to connect, share health information, and update patient records. Our tools:
- Empower patients to share health information with their physician before, during, and after visits, helping to ensure health records are up to date and accurate while improving patient care.
- Meet the growing demand for virtual care solutions via an online booking system and secure messaging that brings significant benefits to patients while improving clinic efficiency and reducing the need for unnecessary phone calls.
- Improve access to care by replacing faxes, calculating wait times, and reducing the time to process and access specialist referrals.
We are dedicated to our team, and we strongly believe that family comes first. To that end, we strive to find opportunities to support balance in the workplace and between work and home. As part of this, we have flexible hours, lunch socials (virtual for now but some physically-distanced small gatherings too), and meeting-free Friday afternoons.
How you will make an impact
- Build. You will build new features and functionality that delivers an innovative, scalable and reliable product solution that our team is proud to declare ownership of. You will play a role in contributing to the architecture and framework of our solution.
- Be Agile. You will engage in agile software development while adhering to reasonably-paced project deadlines. We pride ourselves on setting reasonable expectations in order to prioritize both the quality of our product - and of your life. You will translate functionalities into development stories and self-manage completion. You will assist and guide the work of junior developers and co-op students.
- Prioritize quality. As a member of the development team, you will participate in peer code reviews, and test automation, ensuring each release meets our high quality standards. You will propose optimizations for enhancing the reliability and speed of our platform.
- Research and analyze. You will actively participate in architecture discussions, presenting well-thought-out ideas and evidence for choosing a particular tool, process, or method.
What you bring
- The experience. You bring 5+ years of professional experience developing B2B product software and a willingness to dive in to figure out the best approaches quickly, whether they are based on technology or a human-centred approach. You have existing skills across modern front and back end technologies, and can rapidly pick up new tools and approaches.
- The technical: You have existing skills across modern front and back end technologies, and can rapidly pick up new tools and approaches. Some of the technologies we use include:
- Server development (Java/Spring/MongoDB/JEE)
- Cloud SaaS operations (Linux/Tomcat/Apache Web)
- Cryptography (AES and RSA)
- Android tablet development (Java/Android SDK)
- The collaborative approach. You can build trusting relations and efficiently work across teams, both in-person and remote. You are quick to adapt when priorities shift and take feedback well. You are comfortable with ambiguity and are willing to figure things out when no clear, defined path or process is outlined.
- The flexibility. This is a Hybrid role based out of our office in North York, Ont. Candidates are required to be in-office 1-2 days per week.
What's in it for you?
Impact, influence, and career development. You will play an essential role in bringing our mission to light. You want to make a difference in how Canadians experience the healthcare system and empower both patients and physicians with the technology they need to streamline access to information. As we continue to scale, we will take you on the journey with us, creating opportunities for professional development, recognition, and growth.
A chance to make a difference. Everyone here is deeply committed to what we can do - and the potential we have to do more. As a result, we provide an opportunity for CognisantCauses, our name for passion projects in healthcare where no funding is available and a little technical expertise and time is needed to make a big difference. It’s a way to give back and to add further meaning to what you do here.
A highly ethical culture. We value ethical behaviour above all else. We care about each other and we respect each other as professionals and people. We treat our customers with respect and keep our word, even if it hurts. We own our mistakes. We strive for honesty and integrity every day in every situation. We look for people who share these values.
We are transforming patient care across the country and we’ve only just begun. Join us
If you feel you meet 70% of the qualifications we are looking for and are determined to make a difference, we encourage you to apply. We promise to consider your application fully.
Express your interest here, explore what we do here, or follow us on LinkedIn to stay connected.
We strive to build a diverse team and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know