Float is one of Canada’s fastest growing companies and Top Startups, serving Canadian businesses with our innovative smart corporate card and spend management solution. Float’s team is customer-obsessed, passionate, vibrant, and entrepreneurial, and includes executives from Uber, Shopify, Ritual, and many other incredible tech companies!
Float empowers companies and teams with smart financial products, helping them achieve their most ambitious goals. We’re making finance more accessible and saving companies and their teams time and money, while disrupting the multi-trillion dollar global B2B finance industry. Backed by some of the best venture capital investors in the world, including Tiger Global, Golden Ventures, and Susa Ventures, we’re looking for pioneers to help us achieve our vision.
About the Strategic Finance Manager role:
We are looking for a Strategic Finance Manager to join the finance team and help build out the strategic finance function. This individual will play a critical role in developing our forecasting and budgeting processes and methodologies as well as developing our financial strategy in partnership with the broader business.
Reporting to the Head of Finance, you will develop a best-in-class strategic planning process, work with key business stakeholders to analyze and provide key insights on how to drive and optimize performance, and ensure we are able to develop and adhere to our financial strategy.
As the Strategic Finance Manager, you’ll be responsible for:
- Strategic Financial Planning: Lead our quarterly and annual financial planning process including budgeting, forecasting, modeling, and long term planning. In collaboration with senior leadership establish ambitious financial and strategic goals that set Float up to achieve long term success.
- Financial Reporting and Analysis: Oversee the production of high quality and timely monthly / quarterly financial results for senior leadership and stakeholders to ensure that Float is executing on its financial objectives. Seek truth and insight in our results compared with operational performance to provide recommendations on how we can perform better or optimize on underperforming areas.
- Forecasting and Modelling: Develop and maintain robust financial forecasting models to ensure that Float is able to accurately predict and assess performance. Continuously improve our forecasting and modeling techniques to improve predictability.
- Business Partnering: Develop and maintain cross functional relationships with key members of the business to understand; key business drivers and their outcomes, identify opportunities for efficiency and growth, ensure deep financial understanding of the business. Act as a strategic advisor to provide insight into growth and efficiency opportunities, scenario analysis, and recommendations to enhance our financial standing.
- Strategic Initiatives: In partnership with the Head of Finance help identify and execute on key strategic initiatives for the business. These include investment decisions, analysis of growth opportunities, vendor negotiation analysis, strategic partnership support, optimization exercises, and others.
You'll be great in this role if:
- You’ve got the experience. To be successful in this role, we’re looking for 3-5 years of experience in financial planning and analysis and strategic finance, preferably in a high-growth B2B technology company.
- Ideally with a bachelor’s degree (though that’s not required) in Finance, Accounting, Economics, or a related field. CPA, MBA or advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing an FP&A function in a high-growth environment.
- Advanced financial modeling and analytical skills, with a deep understanding of financial statements, key metrics, and forecasting techniques specific to the technology industry.
- Strategic mindset with the ability to translate financial analysis into actionable intelligence.
- SQL knowledge considered an asset
- You’re technically strong. You are highly skilled in financial modeling, forecasting, and scenario analysis to support strategic decision-making. You also have exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, with strong attention to detail.
- You’re outstanding at synthesizing information. You excel at translating complex financial concepts into clear, concise insights and recommendations for non-financial stakeholders.
- You love start-ups. You thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment and can adapt quickly to changing priorities and business needs.
- You’re an “Owner”. You’re driven, self-motivated, proactive, and take full ownership of projects and drive them to successful completion.
- You’re market savvy. You have a passion for technology and the startup ecosystem, with a deep understanding of industry trends and market dynamics.
This role won’t be a fit if:
- You prefer a highly structured work environment
- You are not super detail oriented
- You are not comfortable working collaboratively and cross-functionally
- You are not comfortable with ambiguity and frequently changing priorities
- You are not interested in being hands-on in day-to-day finance work
- You are uncomfortable with receiving and giving direct feedback
- You aren’t resilient
- You have an ego
- You aren’t super passionate about helping Float build the best corporate card and spend management platform in Canada
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role, and you strongly align with our values but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be the right candidate for this, or other future positions.
... and Perks of working at Float:
- Competitive compensation & total rewards
- Flexible work hours and time off when you need to recharge
- Small team = lots of autonomy to make an impact
- Opportunity to work with and learn from a world-class team
- A personal Float card with a monthly stipend to spend on what matters most to you
- A dog-friendly office
- Being able to say you helped build Canada's best corporate card and spend management platform