Reporting to the Manager, Planning and Projects of the Faculty of Applied Science and Technology (FAST), the incumbent provides senior technical, administrative, and operational support, and expertise on hardware and software solutions on an ongoing basis to the faculty, staff, and students in FAST. The incumbent is an integral member of the decision-making team for upgrading or replacement of equipment ensures the smooth operation of all labs, desktops and servers for a specific area/discipline based on departmental and program needs.
What You’ll be Doing
- Managing and administrating departmental servers and desktop machines in departmental labs (purchasing, maintenance, troubleshooting, repairs, etc.);
- Determining the most appropriate operating system to be used and which software will reside on which server; scheduling and maintaining regular backups;
- Designing appropriate hardware and software configurations for servers and labs;
- Providing senior technical support for administration, faculty, staff and students;
- Facilitating faculty’s efforts to implement new technologies in the classroom by providing technical expertise and advice; investigating emerging technologies to assist in the development of course materials;
- Configuring and providing technical support for routers and switches;
- Co-ordinating repair and preventative maintenance plans;
- Managing and administrating software and license servers for software used throughout all schools and departments;
- Researching and evaluating new software and hardware in terms of feasibility, installation procedures, impact on resources, costs, etc.;
- Maintaining an inventory of all departmental hardware and software;
- Planning, developing, documenting and implementing procedures regarding the use of FAST labs;
- Researching and initiating purchase requests for new hardware/software;
- Monitoring budgets for instructional supplies;
- Participating on interview teams and assisting in hiring of co-op students; Assigning tasks and ensures satisfactory completion of work;
- Liaising with Information Technology Department (IT) and assisting with technical support;
- Liaising with vendors of hardware and software, either currently purchased or under consideration;
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
You have the skills and knowledge to work with an increasingly diverse student and staff population as well as a proven commitment to anti-oppression, equity, and inclusion.
Your collaborative spirit is balanced with your ability to take initiative and act independently to advance initiatives.
You have a client service focus with an aptitude to make connections, support others, provide excellent customer service and might identify as a community builder.
You are an analytical thinker and have a knack for thinking critically about how processes flow and how to build systems.
The successful candidate will also meet the following requirements:
- Possess a 3-year diploma or degree in Computer Science, Systems Analyst, Telecommunications Technology or related field.
- At least one or more of the following would be an asset: Microsoft Certified Systems Engineers (MCSE), A+ Certification, Network+ Certification, Security + Certification.
- Minimum 5 years of practical experience working in an IT department, as a technical system specialist operating on an administrative system access level including server and network administration and server operating systems (Windows/Linux/MacOS) and cloud/enterprise level exposure.
- Experience in server deployments using cloud computing software and tools (e.g. VMWare vSphere, DevOps tools).
- Programming experience (Python/Ruby/Go Lang).
Who We Are:
Every member of the Sheridan community is passionate about the transformational role we play in people’s lives. Our strategic plan, Sheridan 2024: Galvanizing Education for a Complex World (https://sheridan2024.sheridancollege.ca/), charts a path towards a new ground-breaking model of higher education that reshapes post-secondary education and better prepares students for the future. We are committed to demonstrably advancing equity, diversity and inclusivity. Diversity is our strength and fuels our commitment to excellence. Across our campuses, we’re making meaningful strides towards developing an equitable and inclusive community.
- For more information, visit: Why Work at Sheridan
Faculty/Department: Faculty of Applied Science and Technology
Campus Location: Trafalgar (may be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus). This position is currently working on-site.
Reference #: J1021-0817
Employee Group: Support Staff
Hourly Range: $38.76 - $44.93
Hours: 9:00am – 5:00pm (hours may vary depending on departmental needs).
Application Deadline: Posted until filled
Sheridan is deeply committed to implementing the Calls to Action framed by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. We acknowledge that we live and work on the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nations, Anishinaabe Nation, Huron-Wendat and the Haudenosaunee Confederacy. Sheridan is situated on these lands, and it is our collective responsibility to honour and respect those who have gone before us, those who are here, and those who have yet to come. We are grateful for the opportunity to be working on this land.
Sheridan values the diverse and intersectional identities of its students, faculty, and staff. Sheridan regards equity and diversity as an integral part of academic excellence and is committed to accessibility for all employees. Sheridan seeks applicants who embrace our values of equity, anti-racism, and inclusion. As such, we encourage applications from qualified candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including those who identify as First Nations, Métis and/or Inuit/Inuk, Black, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.
Sheridan is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. If you have any application, interview, or workplace accommodation requests, please contact Human Resources.
You may be asked to provide copies of your educational credentials at the time of interview. Upon hire, we require official confirmation of educational credentials and Canadian equivalency assessments, if applicable.