Technical Lead, Senior Database Administrator
The University of Manitoba is a driving force of innovation, discovery and advancement. Our momentum is propelled by our campus community – UM faculty, staff and students whose determination and curiosity shape our world for the better. Our teaching, learning and work environment is uniquely strengthened and enriched by Indigenous perspectives. With two main campuses in Winnipeg, satellite campuses throughout Manitoba, and world-wide research, UM’s impact is global.
Discover outstanding employee benefits, experience world-class facilities and join a dynamic community that values reconciliation, sustainability, diversity, and inclusion. We are one of Manitoba’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. At the University of Manitoba, what inspires you can change everything.
Reporting to the Manager of Application Development, the incumbent is primarily responsible for the analysis, design, development, testing and implementation of new and/or modified solutions for clients. The incumbent also provides maintenance and support to existing systems, conducts quality assurance/quality improvement activities, and acts as a consultant/resource to clients and other IST staff. The area of focus for this position is: Enterprise Database Management
The Enterprise Database Management Team Lead role is responsible for leading the Database Services team in meeting department objectives and goals. This includes setting future directions, establishing procedures and standards, and enhancing communication with other groups in IST and other University departments. The role is responsible for providing staff feedback and recommending staff levels, assigning work, monitoring performance, and setting goals and objectives. The role also contributes to the creation of operating budgets and the monitoring and control of revenues and expenditures.
This is a hybrid position that requires the successful candidate to balance their time between being in the office and working remotely.
The qualifications and experience we’re looking for:
- Bachelor's degree or a Community College Diploma in a directly related discipline required.
- Scrum Master certification would be an asset
- Minimum six years experience working as a Database Management team lead with enterprise level systems within a large business environment required.
- Must have experience providing database design, architecture and consulting services including security measures, standards, policies and procedures
- Must have experience managing small project utilizing standard Project Management processes and procedures along with experience with Waterfall and Agile project delivery
- Must have experience supervising/leading teams of database administrator.
- Must have experience leading database teams in resolving problems as well as developing plans for systems upgrades, patches, and bug fixes.
- Must have experience using automated processes to build, deploy, monitor and maintain database services.
- Experience managing data warehouses, operational data stores or star schema structured databases would be an asset.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must have experience with Agile software development practices and utilizing industry standard tools (e.g. : JIRA)
- Must have experience with Oracle and at least one of the following technologies: MySQL, MS SQL and PostgreSQL
- Must have experience creating, implementing and operating clustering for at least one of the following technologies: MySQL, MS SQL and Oracle.
- Must have championed change and innovation on database teams by implementing the adoption of modern best practices in RDMS related technologies from the industry.
- Must have experience with batch scripting languages such as bash, Python, crontab and batch scheduling tools
- Familiarity with DevOps for CD/CI using industry standard tools (e.g. : GitLab CI/CD, Nexus) would be an asset
- Would be an asset to be familiar with Azure Services such as Data Lake, Data Factory, Synapse and Purview
- Having experience with Oracle CDBs and PDBs would be an asset
- Experience managing databases or data services hosted in a cloud such as AWS, GCP or MS Azure would be an asset
- Must be self-motivated and possess excellent problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated teamwork/collaboration skills required.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills to diagnose and resolve complex systems issues is required.
- Must remain current in new database technologies, protocols and standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with users of varying levels of technical expertise is required.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and schedule complex projects and tasks is essential.
- Ability to act as a consultant to clients and other staff members is essential.
- Ability to coach and mentor junior staff required.
- Ability to develop strong interpersonal working relationships required.
- Proven technical aptitude with ability to learn new systems quickly.
- Involvement with local IT user communities would be an asset
- Knowledge of ITIL fundamentals would be an asset
- Satisfactory work record, including satisfactory attendance and punctuality, is required.
- Must be available to work occasional overtime as required.
Why the University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
- Comprehensive group benefits and pension plan.
- Competitive vacation time.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Apply today through the University of Manitoba’s recruitment site, UM Careers: https://viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=24146
Closing Date: December 5, 2022
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
The University of Manitoba is committed to the principles of equity, diversity & inclusion and to promoting opportunities in hiring, promotion and tenure (where applicable) for systemically marginalized groups who have been excluded from full participation at the University and the larger community including Indigenous Peoples, women, racialized persons, persons with disabilities and those who identify as 2SLGBTQIA+ (Two Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, questioning, intersex, asexual and other diverse sexual identities).
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact UM.Accommodation@umanitoba.ca or 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.